64 Daytona 2 dr HT V-8 auto in SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Daytona 2 dr HT V-8 auto in SC

I ran across this one in a local trade paper. The fellow claims 79K original miles and NO rust. It has the std 2bbl engine and single exhaust. He's now asking $3500 or best offer or will trade too.

edp/NC
    '63 Avanti
    '66 Commander
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Is it me or is that a '64?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

It is! It is a '64! And it's only $5K!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It pretty much has to be a '64 cause its got the Stude motor with yellow valve covers and that's supposedly what date the title says. I told the gentlemen as nicely as I could that the car was a bit "overpriced" for a non- R series. He had reduced it from $5K to $4K and now to $3.5K or best offer. I don't know what's the absolute least he'd take for it. But I've heard that 1964 2 dr HT versions are not plentiful and it does have relatively low-mileage and supposedly no rust. My brother spent a gazillion $$$ alone fixing the rust on his '66 Cruiser. Somebody might buy this vehicle right, slap a coat of paint on it, re-carpet it and have a nice 2-dr V-8.

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

It is! It is a '64! And it's only $5K!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

edp/NC
        '63 Avanti
        '66 Commander
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

What would be a fair price for a 64 Daytona 2 dr HT V-8 with 79K miles that needs paint? I've always liked that body style. [?]

edp/NC
          '63 Avanti
          '66 Commander
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

What would be a fair price for a 64 Daytona 2 dr HT V-8 with 79K miles that needs paint? I've always liked that body style. [?]
            Get pics of the undercarriage and interior floors, near the door hinge posts and rear seat area. From the trunk view, and front floor it HAS quite a bit of rust and may be way worse. Around $3500.00 or less is fair if it runs and drives.

Remember this appears to be an early '64, built in South Bend and most likely first registered in 1963, but it's NOT a four speed bucket seat car.
            We were just watching that rust bucket Blue '64 HT 4 speed parts car with the wrong engine and a bench seat (possibly changed because of a '61 Tranny and shifter) last week in Indiana.
            StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For sure get pics of the floors and the frame. When the carpet looks like that it is a good sign that there arent any floors left.

Also notice the kickpanels are rotted at the bottom, door posts are probably not in much better shape.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
              http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd like to have either the Desoto or 60 Plymouth wagon on his site[] Not willing to commit that much effort to a non-Stude though...

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I had a day off from the rendering plant, so since it was only (?) a two hour drive, I checked out the "rust-free" Daytona.

Sadly, it's almost a parts car. The funny thing is, the floors were rock solid! No rust through at the bottom of the door posts, and the back floor was fine as well. That was easily the best part of the car. The frame was suprisingly clean. The trunk was Swiss-cheesed, but not too bad. The front fenders AND hood were full of Bondo, yikes! The battery had fallen through the front fender. It also had rust holes on the firewall above the heater screen. The rear window was held on by duct tape! The right rear quarter had rust through, and so did both doors. The dash was toast and the headliner was missing. I made a few casual remarks about the "rust-free" claim to edpjr, and he just stood there with a dumb-ass hillbilly look on his face. The 259 did run well, with no smoke or knocks; probably a good engine. Don't waste your time with this one; I wouldn't have given a thousand bucks for it. Russ Farris

"All glory is fleeting"
                  George C. Scott as "Patton"
                  1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                  1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Sorry it was such a bust, Russ.[V] The guy did clearly tell me there was NO rust, and he especially mentioned the floor pans.[}] And, to think he started out wanting $5K for the car! Whatta joke. When I talked to him it was down to $3500 obo. Sounds more like a $500-$750 vehicle the way you described it. I sure hate to see a running V8 '64 HT rusted away. I'm sure SI (with all their new SASCO parts) has all the fenders, quarters and doors necessary to fix it up. But the outlay in dollars would be prohibitive. Funny, I've almost always been disappointed whenever I went to look at an advertised used car no matter what the make or model...

quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

I had a day off from the rendering plant, so since it was only (?) a two hour drive, I checked out the "rust-free" Daytona.

Sadly, it's almost a parts car. The funny thing is, the floors were rock solid! No rust through at the bottom of the door posts, and the back floor was fine as well. That was easily the best part of the car. The frame was suprisingly clean. The trunk was Swiss-cheesed, but not too bad. The front fenders AND hood were full of Bondo, yikes! The battery had fallen through the front fender. It also had rust holes on the firewall above the heater screen. The rear window was held on by duct tape! The right rear quarter had rust through, and so did both doors. The dash was toast and the headliner was missing. I made a few casual remarks about the "rust-free" claim to edpjr, and he just stood there with a dumb-ass hillbilly look on his face. The 259 did run well, with no smoke or knocks; probably a good engine. Don't waste your time with this one; I wouldn't have given a thousand bucks for it. Russ Farris

"All glory is fleeting"
                    edp/NC
                    '63 Avanti
                    '66 Commander
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

I'm like you edp, I always go into these things expecting the worst and I'm rarely disapointed! One reason I don't buy cars off Ebay without inspecting it personally.

Now, if this little SC jewell was an R-1 or 2 with four-speed and bucket seats I'd would have dragged it home. Actually, I'm in the market for any clean Lark V-8 type, even a four-door would be fine if the condition was exceptional - like this one...Russ Farris

"All glory is fleeting"
                      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

/Cut/ Funny, I've almost always been disappointed whenever I went to look at an advertised used car no matter what the make or model...
                        Did it ever occur you, that you just MIGHT be looking on the wrong Coast for a dry, rust free Studebaker?

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good floors and frame but everything else rotted? Sounds like a lot of West Coast cars I've seen!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Yep. But I don't make it out to California very often. I read the local trade papers and sometimes check out cars within driving distance in NC, SC, Tenn, or VA. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

/Cut/ Funny, I've almost always been disappointed whenever I went to look at an advertised used car no matter what the make or model...
                            Did it ever occur you, that you just MIGHT be looking on the wrong Coast for a dry, rust free Studebaker?

StudeRich
                            edp/NC
                            '63 Avanti
                            '66 Commander
                            edp/NC
                            \'63 Avanti
                            \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                            X