salvaging flathead 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salvaging flathead 6

I've decided to pull the eng. in my 54 Champion and see if I can salvage it...might be able to clean up the cyl. walls and ring it...if not maybe have it bored and sleeved...haven't got it out yet, just got a cherry picker from harbor frt. for $99...good place to buy parts?
    Virg

Cathcart's Studebaker is great to deal with. He has been a long time TW advertiser and has great speed parts for the
    Champion engine. He also does complete rebuilds.

Doug

Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

'Most any of the vendors listed just off the Home Page will have what you need.

I wouldn't worry about sleeveing it, oversized pistons are available, along with rings.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

would it be better to pull just the eng. or should I leave the transmission on the eng.? Thanks Virg

Comment

Might as well pull them both cuz that's the best way to reinstall. That way you become familiar with clearances.

Comment

I'll second the motion to contact Bill Cathcart. I have known him for 13 years. He is excellent to deal with, and very knowledgeable.

Chip
            '63 Cruiser daily driver
            '57 Packard wagon on the road!
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Unless you have a pristine. lo-mi engine, you will most likely need to replace your pistons for a quality, long-lasting rebuild.
              I have the o/s pistons as well as bearings in std & o/s, rings, valves, gaskets & other parts at good prices. See my ebay store or email.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

How do I see your ebay store? Virg

Comment

Virg - Pull the radiator & housing beforehand and scribe & remove the hood. The engine and tranny together is the easiest way and they're long and gangly on a hoist. 'Specially if it's an overdrive tranny.
                  Parts are generally no problem. A good machine shop can hot-tank, magnaflux the block for cracks and mic the cylinders for what you need. You might want to get a new set of valve guides too.
                  Whereabouts in IA are you? I'm originally from Fairfield.

Comment

If you've got the dough...cathcartsstudebaker is the way to go. If not, check with your local club. Someone there has probably had an engine rebuilt if not done it themselves.

Good luck...we just had ours done .040 over with new valves, a couple of valve seats, 6 new guides. I need a cluch alignment tool now so I can stab it together.

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

That's another thing I will need...a radiator, mine was gone when I got the car....my transmission is an overdrive....I have the hood off...I started pulling the eng. and trans...cold weather set in here in Kansas so it's kind of on hold for a while...tomnoller..I live in Hiawatha Ks. but have been to Iowa a lot when I traveled with the carnival back in the 50's
                      Thanks guys for the info....Virg

Comment

Working...
                      X