Auto Trans 259 Hawk Manual Interpretation Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Trans 259 Hawk Manual Interpretation Q

Well I finally got the car out of the garage. Been ... 2 years?
    Rebuilt everything execpt the transmission. Worked fine before I started the project. Only tranny work was seal and filter replacement. And, it seems every place the could leak, and some that I thought could not, leak.
    Pan, did not use RTV [B)], I knew better.
    But also the shifter linkage and the spedo connection.

I would not have expected these locations to leak. I did not think the fluid was that high. Is that just wrong, or is the tranny over filled with fluid?

Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk
    Dell
    59 Silver Hawk
    62 GT Hawk

If my car sits too long without running the oil in the torque converter drains back into the transmission and overfills it causing leaks that are not normally a problem if the car is used regularly. I guess there is something that could be rebuilt or resealed to prevent this but it's not worth the extra work to fix something a monthly drive will prevent.

Ken

Comment

The main problem is the pan, I know how to fix that. Also, looks like there is a seal on the linkage I did not replace. Hard to tell the right part number. Looks like plate 08-9 0832-110.
      For you tran guys (I am not) any other seals I should have replaced?

thanks
      dell

Dell
      59 Silver Hawk
      62 GT Hawk
      Dell
      59 Silver Hawk
      62 GT Hawk

Comment

Manual discusses,
        Flight-o-matic page 51; Throttle Valve Shaft Inner Lever or Seal, replace an 'O' ring
        Flight-o-matic page 52; Manual Valve Shaft Inner Lever or Seal, replace an oil seal

Is there an O ring and an oil seal? I can't find an O ring in the parts book plate 08-9 page 251
        O ring shown on plate 08-10 but they are listed as 63-64
        Help appreciated before I take it apart.

thanks
        dell

Dell
        59 Silver Hawk
        62 GT Hawk
        Dell
        59 Silver Hawk
        62 GT Hawk

Comment

I think jd-stude has it nailed. If the torque converter drains back into the tranny the tranny will be over capacity and will leak where no seals were meant to seal. Clean it, refill it and drive it more often. Also check your coolant level if you have a liquid cooled transmission. That problem could be at the rad. Good luck!
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Well, I have owned the car for over 15 years but it has been a project in my garage for 2 years. Only driven it twice for a few miles after the engine rebuild. Each time it lost about a pint of fluid. I agree with jd but the shaft seal is original and needs to be replaced and I have never been able to get an old pan seal to not leak with rtv.

I need to purchase the parts and the still wondering about the O ring and oil seal question. If no one answers, I'll know when I take it apart.
            hate working under a car! I'm to old. just want to minimize my time under there.

Dell
            59 Silver Hawk
            62 GT Hawk
            Dell
            59 Silver Hawk
            62 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
            X