No announcement yet.

pulling the steering wheel ('63 Stude)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulling the steering wheel ('63 Stude)

My local mechanic was unable to pull the steering wheel. His puller, for the first time in 30 years, could not get the job done because the bolt holes in the wheel were too short.

1. any hints?
    2. if anyone has a puller that works in '63 steering wheels (mine is the Avanti), and could loan it,(I will pay for postage both ways) many thanks!

Terry, North Texas
    1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
    (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
    This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
    1999 Toyota rice burner
    1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.
    I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
    challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
    I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

My guy removed the wheel on my avanti this past summer....to fix horn....i suspect you would have to send money deposit to cover replacement cost if anything happens.....it's an option if you do not find an alternative.

quote:Originally posted by 63Avanti

My local mechanic was unable to pull the steering wheel. His puller, for the first time in 30 years, could not get the job done because the bolt holes in the wheel were too short.

1. any hints?
    2. if anyone has a puller that works in '63 steering wheels (mine is the Avanti), and could loan it,(I will pay for postage both ways) many thanks!

Terry, North Texas
    1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
    This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1999 Toyota rice burner
    1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63Avanti

1. any hints?

Terry, North Texas
      1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065

1999 Toyota rice burner
      1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.
      Try a different mechanic, it's not rocket science with even a Pep Boys puller and the right bolts.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Back off the shaft nut so that it is righr past the last couple threads. Hold a good sized piece of round brass or lead stock over the end of the shaft nut combination. _Position your legs above the knees in back of the steering wheel bout 3 and 9 0'clock. Exert some pressure towards you and with a hammer bang the brass or lead sorta hard a couple times while prying up on the steering wheel with your upper legs. It worked for me a few times till I bought a puller that fit. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Jim, He is talking about a $1,000 steering wheel. Forget about banging on it with a soft hammer. I had to modify a Harbor Freight puller to get it to work but it will. 'Bout $20.

Comment

I know about the worth of the steering wheel but I dont say anything in my method bout hitting the steering wheel. That wouldn't do anything but break the wheel. You misread or misunderstood the instructions.[?] jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
            X