Even Australia has standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even Australia has standards

Yesterday the contained left with 4 Studebakers in side along with extra engines doors, hood, fins ect, one was a 57 golden hawk with 3 on the tree, one a 53 commander hardtop, one a 63 GT with 4 speed, and last was the 60 wagon along with a spare 289 engine, but this one little car got turned down and they said no way jose you keep that in your country, take a look.

This thing almost make the 58 with duel head lights look good, and this might even be Dick Stinekamp's next project, what say Dick???

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

What is it? Its so, so, goofy, its kinda cool!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Looks like a Crosley.

Comment

The front styling reminds me of a M-series Stude truck. Does this have the cast iron block engine or the copper-brazed sheet metal block? How about those 4.80 x 12.00 tires on there? And you thought only boat trailers used such tires.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        MN iron ore...it does your body good.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

On second thought, I guess my thinking that they resemble each other is a bit of a stretch. [B)]

Brent's rootbeer racer.
          MN iron ore...it does your body good.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers
            this one little car got turned down and they said no way jose you keep that in your country, take a look.
            I wonder if thought it was too much competition for their own Lightburn Zeta economy car!!

Craig

Comment

Its a Crosley. I had an uncle that drove those things all through the 50's and 60's
              What was the reason they turned it down?

Comment

Its a 48 Crosley,and I think the wheels came on wheel barrels, the engine if you can call it that came from a singer sewing machine, the carb, for a model air plane, the hood ornament from a kids peddle car, the grille is chicken wire close knit type, friend thinks this is the greatest thing since the wheel,..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                canbstudebakers-
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Hey, you leave the Lightburn Zeta's alone Not to mention the Goggomobil's Bob, I can see why the Melbourne boys turned down the, the, whatever it is[:0]

Matt
                  Brisbane
                  Australia
                  Matt
                  Brisbane
                  Australia
                  sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Aussie Hawk

Hey, you leave the Lightburn Zeta's alone
                    Trust me, I won't go near one! I'll take a Crosley over a washing-machine-on-wheels!!

Craig

Comment

Don't forget they made cement mixers too.[8D]

Matt
                      Brisbane
                      Australia
                      Matt
                      Brisbane
                      Australia
                      sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Crosley's are neat.
                        They even made a sheet metal engine once..
                        And their mainstay engine was further developed, and used in semi-trailer refrigeration units...for decades....
                        so...
                        Crosley's numbers were way higher than Studebakers numbers (if you look only at engine production)
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hi

Crosleys: Powell's effort to offer a car well below even the "mid-size" Studebaker Champion and the "compact" Willys. Frankly, they were just too little car in terms of size and equipment, for that matter, in any way you can think of.

One of the reasons they were built they way they were was the lack of large press to create deep draw body panels. So they designed the body panels to have the same shallow draws and rolls as used to make appliance sheetmetal.

While the final generation engine developed into a decent powerplant for it's size, the market that would accept such a car had run it course by '52. For most buyers, a used full-sized car for the same price made a lot more sense. Economy of operation was the big selling point, but with gas at 25 cents a gallon and less, only the most frugal would give up the convenience of a full-size car for the spartan world of the Crosley.

They are, in the words of a friend from Connecticut, "an aaahhhdddiiiddyy"

Steve

Comment

A friend of mine has about 2 doz of those old Crosleys in every body style they had: 2 dr roadster, pickup, sedan delivery, wagon, and woody panel van, I think that covers it..............lol. I used to tease him that you had to buy the mirrors in pairs-----so the car would be balanced right and wouldn't tip on its side when parked..........he didn't see the humor in my comments.

Jerry

Comment

That car is sweet!!

clayton-rip chicken hawk!

Comment

Working...
                              X