SOUND DEADNING UNDER THE HOOD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOUND DEADNING UNDER THE HOOD ?

Hi to all...I have a 1950 Commander that sounds a little loud to me. I am not sure what it should sound like but in comparrison to my 51 Ford which has a v8 the Studebaker 6 cyl sounds louder when I am sitting in the car. Could it just be that there is minimal space between the passenger and the firewall so the engine noise just reverberates into the passenger compartment ?...Did Studebaker have insulation on the underside of the hood or any where else to keep engine noise to a minimum ?..thanks in advance,John

First thing I would look at is any open holes between passenger and engine compartments. It's amazing how much sound can come through a 1/2 hole.

It's possible that your Ford has more insulation, does it have an underhood pad?

ErnieR

Island Dragway, Great Meadows, NJ Summer 2009

Comment

Ernie...the Ford does have a greater distance between the passenger and the firewall allowing room for a firewall cover but it does not have any hood insulation....not so much distance in the Studebaker..I will check under the dash for openings but they would have to be awfully small or I would get fumes or a breeze which I am not...Anyone out there have an original 50 Commander that would know about the hood insulation ?....John

quote:Originally posted by bige

First thing I would look at is any open holes between passenger and engine compartments. It's amazing how much sound can come through a 1/2 hole.

It's possible that your Ford has more insulation, does it have an underhood pad?

ErnieR

Island Dragway, Great Meadows, NJ Summer 2009

Comment

Might there be an exhaust leak causing an increase in noise? My 1998 Grand Prix GTP is extra loud being that the exhaust manifold is cracked.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        MN iron ore...it does your body good.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I did have an exhaust manifold gasket replaced a short while ago...I will check those bolts...How much torque should I apply to them ?

Comment

Ray-Lynn posted an excellent reference sheet on Stude Torque specs. I hope he sees this.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

QUOTE: "the Studebaker 6 cyl sounds louder when I am sitting in the car."

John, (zoe); would that be idling or driving? [?]

Sometimes new owners of Studebakers experience higher sound levels at cruise than they are used to in their Stude. vs other cars, (especially NEWER ones). [:0]

This is usually due to much higher RPM from a low geared rear axle and No operating Overdrive! [:0] If this is the case, you could check the ratio tag on your axle.

Sounds like it is more likely that you have a warped Intake/Exhaust Manifold though.

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studerich...it idles fairly quiet...the higher noise level is engine noise when accelerating at any speed...How would I tell if the exhaust manifold is warped and how would I be able to correct it.?..John

Comment

How much padding do you have on your firewall? Should have a layer glued to the firewall and then another layer held on with fasteners, I think.
                  These guys do Studebaker, although that part of their website doesn't seem to be working right now.

QuietRide Solutions: Manufacturers of pre-cut, ready to install AcoustiShield thermal acoustic insulation products and Firewall Insulators for antique, classic and custom cars and trucks. The Coolest Cars Have QuietRide Inside!

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by zoegrant

Studerich...it idles fairly quiet...the higher noise level is engine noise when accelerating at any speed...How would I tell if the exhaust manifold is warped and how would I be able to correct it.?..John
                    You remove it, put a straight edge on it, if it is not level have it re-machined.

Now that I read your other post about the Overdrive not working, I am leaning more toward my first possible issue! Although both could be happening.

I would not pull the manifold until listening close to the Manifold while revving the engine to about 2000 RPM barely half throttle should do it, you can use a stick or pipe to listen, so you do not get your head in line with or near the FAN!

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X