1963 Avanti RQ 2947

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Avanti RQ 2947

Does anyone have any information on 1963 Avanti RQ 2947. I did not see it listed in the Avanti registry. This number was on the inside of the passenger side fender.

Thanks

Steve

"RQ" sounds like the body number, not the VIN. That's the number on the cowl on the right side. There was no attempt by the factory to match body numbers to VIN's. The VIN is on a plate riveted to the frame on the right side just below the heater motor...probably covered in grease. An Avanti VIN would start with "63R-" or "R-" and the number.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Avanti owners ID their cars with those numbers. Those are the numbers you typically see in registries.
      Yours would be 63R-2947.
      www.theavanti.com production list shows your car being built in January of 1963.
      My car is R-2788 and was built Jan 21-22, so yours would be later than that. The final car built that month was R-2981, so your would have been built very late in the month.
      January 1963 was the high point of Avanti production with 592 built.

Here's a link to the production numbers:

Here's a link to their registry...they list the car just before yours:

Your car is listed in Bob Johnstone's online registry, though there seems to be some confusion with the numbers:

If it's turquoise it probably yours and correct...if so, you might let Bob know to help confirm/correct his registry.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thanks John,

This is the car, the owner called me today with the number. I know that it is not an R3 but was trying to determine if it is actually a valid R2. He can not find any other numbers or plates on the car.

Thanks again,

Steve

Comment

Seems funny when they use the phrase "numbers match". Studebaker didn't put VIN numbers on anything but the frame...not on the engine, transmission or rear end. The Feds didn't require that until later in the decade. The only way to know if the numbers "match", meaning factory installed to the car, is to have the production order. "Numbers match" is so misused today as to mean almost nothing anymore. Documentation, documentation, documentation...without that, it's meaningless and should be priced accordingly.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

Seems funny when they use the phrase "numbers match".
            I hear ya, dude...[8D]
            I didn't know if my car had it's "birth" engine until I removed it for rebuild. You're right, you don't know what the correct engine number is until you get the build sheet.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The information on the cars listed on my site are as advertised or told to me by owners when I email them.
              At least 50% of listers who erroneously show the body tag as the VIN, either refuse to believe anything or clam up when asked about the chassis #.
              I had one Ebay seller in Vegas a month ago, reply that he was afraid I was trying to steal the car. People are just weird about these things..

I've emailed the vendor of the above car with a request for clarification of the number. Let's see what happens...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
              55 President State Sedan
              70 Avanti (R3)
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Remember that in the late model South Bend cars that the new numbering system was employed showing the date and year of assembly. This would not apply to the R series engines as well as Avantis as they would have a stamped unique serial number (which is tracked through the JT registry). So you could have the correct date code engine and not have it be the one installed at the factory.

[EDIT] I registered my '64 R2 using the link J Boyle provided.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

The serial # is R4024, just received it from the owner.

Steve

Comment

Steve....

Bob's registry notes its sale from the dealer and has some ads posted:

After you get it, you might send him nicer photos and give him an update.

Also you might consider registering it at the "theavanti.com" registry as well to help the Avanti community keep track of the cars.

Its production records indicate your car was made in early April of 1963.

Good luck and have fun with your car...and I hope you join the clubs (SDC and AOAI).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Steve if you are really interested in this car, it is located in my hometown and I can arrange for an inspection by a noted Studebaker enthusiast and close relative, my brothers. let me know.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Steve if you are really interested in this car, it is located in my hometown and I can arrange for an inspection by a noted Studebaker enthusiast and close relative, my brothers. let me know.
                        Don,

I just sent you an email and I really do appreciate this. I was trying to figure out how to get up there next week with everything else I have going on. It is a two day drive for me, four days round trip.

Thanks and,

Best Regards

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X