Buyer beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer beware

I saw this listing for a 61 Hawk and it looked like a great deal. Called the owner and asked about rust and he talked about "some bubbles starting to show up". I asked for more pictures and was glad I did not make the trip.

Here's the listing:

Here's the "bubbles"

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

His Grandma should have done a better job on her previous restoration attempt. Bad Grandma! I love those tinted windows, though. Good call, JDP.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by warrlaw1

His Grandma should have done a better job on her previous restoration attempt. Bad Grandma! I love those tinted windows, though. Good call, JDP.
      I too was impressed with tinted glass on the black car, but glad I did not waste a trip to see the car, It was much prettier in the tiny pictures.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Apparently, the first round of Bondo asphyxiation has not thwarted the rust. Jeeves! Fetch my trowel... LH

Straight from the horse's mouth
        Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

John, ya big sissy... are ya afraid of a little rust repair?? All it needs is a new body. Everything else is pretty good.

sals54
          sals54

Comment

You would have been money ahead with the finned Hawk that has been languishing on the Wilmington/South Jersey CL for the past 6 months. At least you could shoot that one in the head and come out okay.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

It just proves what I've always felt. If I can't see a car first hand, I don't bother with it. Photos can be very deceiving.
              Thanks for the valuable lesson.
              Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Long Island Studebaker Club
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Well --- the posting didn't say how big the "bubbles" were.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

BUBBLES?? I think that's what they called Mt. St. Helens just before the ground started shakin...

Comment

This is were you negotiate.

Tell him, if he takes the heat gun and removes all the bondo, you [u]may</u> think about offering his price, less the cost of the necessary repairs.

HECK! You could get the car [u]and
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Today's disappointment, a $5800 GT Hawk.

Craigslist picture.

Closer look

JDP/Maryland
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Those cars aren't rusty.

I once went to look at a Triumph which was advertised as "needs paint". It was rusted to the point that it (body and frame) had broken into two parts. You'd have needed a shovel and truck to transport it.

Comment

That GT appears to be unmolested. Perhaps an easy restoration or, just fix and drive. Possibly a good deal.

Not something that could be cleaned up and flipped.

A fellow at Gettysburg in 1980 had a perfect one he wanted $12,000 for.

Not what John's looking for but...maybe perfect for someone.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Here's my thing. My wife bought our 49 from her dad whom saved it from going to the crusher. Once I got the thing apart I realized it was swiss cheese. However it had one strange thing going for it. The outer most body mounts on the tranny cross member weren't rotted and the rockers were near perfect, I'm suspecting replaced at one time. The entire floor as well as most of the inner body structure and one door was very rusted. We picked up a "shell" of another 49 and it is "almost" perfect except the rockers and those specific body mounts are completely gone. So I drilled out the spot welds in the rockers on one car. Then cut the entire lower door support, part of the floor board and fire wall in one piece and grafted it into the good body. I only had to patch a small section of that floor piece while it was on the bench.
                            I know this sounds crazy but I'm really not to scared of rust as I figure I can fix it. But then again those poor east coast cars take a beating!

Comment

Working...
                            X