T Cab rearend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T Cab rearend

I have a Champ T Cab that someone changed the rearend to a Chevy passenger assembly. I would like to change to a 5x5 bolt pattern to match the front. What later model rearend will come close to working and be close to the width of the Champ rearend?
    Allen

Because you already have a GM rear, you'll find the later big GM rear drive (90's) are 5 X 5. The easiest route to go on yours is to have the current axles drilled for 5 by 5. Any decent race shop can do it or know who can do it.

Price when I had a couple redrilled about two years ago was under $100 for the pair.

Of course, I had to pull the axles.

Bob

Comment

....if you're anywhere near Mass, I have 2 Champ axles that I'd sell for $100. each. One is 4.09 TT with > 100K miles on it, the other is 4.09 open with <10K miles..........anyone ? would like to get them out to someone.

Comment

Thanks jackb,
        But I'm down where it is warm. S. Texas. I plan on using a R2 Engine with a Power Shift transmission from a wrecked Avanti I have. I will need a higher ratio rearend. I haven't measured the width of the Avanti rearend. It may work by using adapters to a 5x5 lug pattern. I will check it out tomorrow.
        Allen

Comment

I am using a Ford 9 inch out of a 76 Ford Torino wagon in my C-Cab. I put ford f 150 backing plates and drums and just drilled the drums. And you have a wide range of centers to put in it.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Chevy trucks had 5 on 5 and they even had the same carrier as the cars. You could probably reuse your r & p and carrier.

Comment

With out a pic or better description, You could have a 7.5" 10 bolt car axle used in the later caprices which had a 5 on 5" bolt circle as bob stated. What it would entail to put big pattern axle shafts in this housing I am not sure. If you have a 7.75" 9 bolt cover you are stuck with drilling. If you have a 8.2" 10 bolt I 'think' there may be a caprice/station wagon axle shaft that has the big pattern. Most likely you have a 8.5" 10 bolt, axle shafts sould not be a problem this axle was shared between almost every full size GM car and truck from the mid 70's on. However to throw another monkey wrench in, you could also have a semi rare leaf spring mount car 12 bolt(67-72 camaro/nova only) that has a 8.875" ring gear, this is not the same as the truck 8.875" 12 bolt which would have the big 5 on 5" pattern? Confused yet?[xx(]

Jon Krimm
              1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Good thing it's a chevy cuz that makes it easy and simple to work on...

Comment

Working...
                X