Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CanAM to SoCal to Glendale, AZ... (you game???)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanAM to SoCal to Glendale, AZ... (you game???)

As you may have heard if you belong to an SDC Chapter in the CanAM Zone...
    (the ones in AK, ID, MT, OR, WA, AB, BC, YT)

or as you may have seen in another thread...
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=32927

Here is a chance for a bit of "Can AM Zone/SoCal fun" prior to the International Meet in Glendale, AZ. We have gotten quite the invite from the very fine folks of the Orange Empire Chapter of SDC!!! I have been to OEC's LaPalma Show many, many, many times over~ it is a super nice venue that they have there, not to mention the awesome folks who set it up~ This show has been going on for more years then I care to think about. (let's just say I was a wee youngin' when I went to my first- their 2nd back in 1970-something)
    I am 39 now... [:0]
    You can NOT go wrong with this one~ A fun time will be had by all!!!

I'd like to see who/how many would be interested in doing this Caravan.
    I don't have too many details as to what route we might take~
    but I am looking into several options, and for input as to how YOU wanna do it...

I am also looking for input as to how many folks/cars I might be dealing with~
    and from where they may be coming from.

Maybe at some point I'll post the details of the email I received~
    and forwarded off to the leaders of our Zone- for others to see here.
    (Sorry-- it was titled 'A special invitation to Pacific NorthWest Studebaker owners')

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    Ferndale, WA

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

edited for spelling... [V]
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

I am interested Dave, but it will depend on if I find work between now and then. [B)]

So, I won't know for a couple of months at least. [?]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

I am interested Dave, but it will depend on if I find work between now and then. [B)]
      So, I won't know for a couple of months at least. [?] Mark
      You and me BOTH, Mark~ you and me both!!! [:0] [V]

(weird, eh?)

No worries...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
      plannin' & hopin' to go
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Dave, You may pick up some Karel Staple and/or Sequoia chapter members on your way south. If you tell me the timing and your route options considered I will let you know how many from Karel Staple might join in. There is a possibility we could help with a stopping point/lay over in the Sacramento area for you as well. I volunteered for the task of organizing at least one travel route for our chapter, I think we may have some folks that are going through Las Vegas for a night, but I like the show you mentioned better.

Keep me posted

Pat

Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
          You and me BOTH, Mark~ you and me both!!! [:0] [V]

(weird, eh?)

No worries...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
          plannin' & hopin' to go
          Well, at least with this time off, the truck will be "ready" for a trip! []

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island Chapter
          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Pat Dilling

Dave, You may pick up some Karel Staple and/or Sequoia chapter members on your way south. If you tell me the timing and your route options considered I will let you know how many from Karel Staple might join in. There is a possibility we could help with a stopping point/lay over in the Sacramento area for you as well. I volunteered for the task of organizing at least one travel route for our chapter, I think we may have some folks that are going through Las Vegas for a night, but I like the show you mentioned better.
            Keep me posted~ Pat
            Sounds good to me Pat~ This is very much a work in progress.
            Thanks for the options in your area, as well.
            When I know more I'll post it here first.

Ron S. asked that same question as to a route, and his sugestions in that other thread got me set on the two I'm looking into. They are 99 & 101, but I am open to others.
            Personally~ I'd rather take option three (think US395) but many folks would shy away from it due to the 'hills' involved, no doubt!!! [:0]
            Maybe on my way home...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
            can I really pull this off... [?]

StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

For those caravaning. the La Palma registration will be reduced to $5 for those traveling more than 300 miles.

Comment

Thanks Dave, All the routes have some hills, one way or another you have to get over the Sierras or the Tehachipis. The Grapevine is steep, but is not too long a pull. Cars have been going over them for years, some faster than others so I'm sure our Studes can make it.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Thanks Dave, All the routes have some hills, one way or another you have to get over the Sierras or the Tehachipis. The Grapevine is steep, but is not too long a pull. Cars have been going over them for years, some faster than others so I'm sure our Studes can make it. Pat
                  You forgot the Siskiyous!!! I know there are hills, and you know there are hills- but others can/will be afraid of the many long tall steep curvey grades (up and down) like you find on US 395. [:0] Sweet Pea has done that Route more then once, but not everyone has a V8, and good brakes like I do. Nor do they drive their car often enough to be comfortable in everyday traffic and situations that come up~
                  like long tall steep curvey grades... [:0] [B)]

Front running Route down is 101 at this time, I think~
                  Mainly because I've never been on most of it before.
                  But that's why I'm looking for input.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  gittin' there somehow [}]

StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

If timing, traffic through cities and road quality are considerations I think 101 will be a longer drive compared to say I-5 or even 99 in California. 101 through the Bay Area can be painful depnding on when you get there.

According to Google Maps, from Grants Pass OR to La Palma

I-5 741 Miles, 11 hours 29 minutes
                    101 875 Miles, 16 hours 26 Minutes

How long a time are you planning to take to get to La Palma?

Pat

Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA

Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA

Comment

How long a time are you planning to take to get to La Palma? Pat
                      That's why I posted here in the first place.
                      No one has contacted me, so I have no idea what to plan for.
                      • How many rides?
                      • What sort of rides?
                      • How much time do they have?
                      • How brave are the drivers?

I have yet to hear from ANYONE here in the CanAm Zone!!!

I think it might have something to do with the CanAM Zone's
                      OVERDRIVE being the week before all of this... [:0]
                      It's always fun, but the timing- not so much this year.

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Dave,

Let me know what your plans from the North are and we can try and find a place to connect to get to La Palma. So who is planning to go to the La Palma meet? Where can I get details about that to share with our Karel Staple chapter members coming from Sacramento area? I am interested in doing that meet and then over to Glendale with the caravan.

thanks

Pat

Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA

Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Dave, Let me know what your plans from the North are and we can try and find a place to connect to get to La Palma. So who is planning to go to the La Palma meet? Where can I get details about that to share with our Karel Staple chapter members coming from Sacramento area? I am interested in doing that meet and then over to Glendale with the caravan. thanks Pat
                          I would love to tell you of my plans. Trouble is- I've had no input to go off of as yet. I'm gonna try sending a follow-up invite to Chapters in my Zone, and go from there.
                          Time will tell, I suppose.

Look up Orange Empire SDC for info on their Meet, or look in your Turning Wheels.
                          It will be in there soon if it is not already.

But then again, at the rate things are going with me-
                          by then I may have lost interesst in Studes all together-
                          and NOT GO AT ALL!!! [:0] [V]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

As to my vehicles, it would likely be either a '56 Parkview wagon or a '62 Champ pickup. The wagon has brake issues and the truck has that and exhaust issues. Their issues would have to be addressed before I could take them. If I took the truck, I'd likely also take my Terry travel trailer. However, I'm leaning strongly towards the wagon. It gets much better mileage. I'd likely save the difference in hotel costs and the RV park in gas.

Take it from someone who's done a lot of driving on 101 from Los Angeles to Crescent City, the Bay Area is HELL on Earth during Rush Hour.[:0][}]I would add another three to four hours to the time estimate.

As to the Siskiyous; the worst part is from Ashland Or. to the summit about ten miles from the California border. Going south wouldn't be bad (except for your radiator, it's STEEP) The California side is much more gentle.

If one doesn't like the traffic, they can divert onto old 99 where I-5 crosses the Klamath River and enjoy a wonderfully scenic ride through the river canyon (don't forget to take the left across the river a few miles south of the rest area) south to Yreka, and a number of charming little hamlets till it re-joins I-5 just north of the town of Weed.

It's then hop off and on for five or ten miles through Shasta and Dunsmuir. The rest of 99 in the Shasta Lake area is under water. After going down the steep decent off of Pitt River Bridge I-5 brings you into the Redding area.

Hwy 99 becomes Market street and then Sacramento st. It winds it's way through old Redding till it becomes HWY 273 through Anderson and Cottonwood.

Then it's back onto I-5 through Red Bluff (about twenty miles or so) and you can pick up old 99 at the northernmost end of town or simply exit at Antelope ave off of I-5 (left across the FWY off the exit). 99 then becomes a beaucolic country road for many miles till Chico where it becomes a divided freeway.

It rejoins I-5 again just north of Sacramento. Things get a little tricky in Sac to pick up the old road again, but it can be done just south-east of town. However, you have a choice of the new 99 (freeway) or the old road, which has many breaks and is very poorly maintained. This takes you down to Fresno and my experiance loses it just south of Bakersfield. I know it still exists south of town, but I haven't been on it since the early sixties.

99 becomes eventually the old 'Grapevine' which is still reputed to exist. The state parks department has control of the old road at that point. When the old road enters Castaic, it is absorbed by the Golden State Freeway or again, I-5. Twenty miles or so south of that one picks up Foothill Blvd and joins the Mother Road, Route 66.

From Redding to the Grapevine one is in the Great San Joachin Valley, once the salid bowl of the nation. The San Joachin is relatively flat with some rolling hills. The scenery is excellent. The pavement can be a bit rough in places though. Also one is often dealing with farm equipment on the road at that time of year. But May in the San Joachin is really something to see.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Please see my recent post Sacramento ---&gt; La Palma ---&gt; Glendale. Leaving Saturday Morning 5/29 and going down US-99.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA

Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X