Beaucond Motors, Colorado Springs, CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaucond Motors, Colorado Springs, CO

Going through some old photographs I found a few pictures taken on August 14, 1976 my 20th birthday. My family and I were in Colorado on vacation and after seeing a billboard advertising the New Avanti II, I talked my Dad into driving to the dealer to see their cars, after all it was my birthday. I'm not sure what an Avanti II listed for in 1976 but it was more $$$ than my Dad ever paid for any of our new Dodge or Chrysler cars.

This first picture is me standing by a new Avanti (window stickers visible) in front of Beaucond Motors. This was 33 years ago and about 80 to 90 lbs ago as well.

Here's a profile shot of the Avanti, the exit sign off freeway says Academy Blvd. Beaucond motors was next to Bob's camper sales, I have no idea if any of this is still there after 33 years.

If there is someone out there who lives or lived in the Colorado Springs area and bought an Avanti II in 1976 or early 1977 that was this same color from this dealer it would be interesting to know if the car survives.

Finally a photo of a Studebaker GT Hawk at the dealer (I don't remember what year or if it was for sale). Maybe someone out there knows about this car as well.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Great photos John, thanks for sharing!

That GT has the little "Avanti Powered" or "Avanti Supercharged" emblems way down at the bottom of the front fenders...the car is a '63 from what I can see. That'd be a desirable one today if it's still around.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

That GT has the little "Avanti Powered" or "Avanti Supercharged" emblems way down at the bottom of the front fenders...the car is a '63 from what I can see. That'd be a desirable one today if it's still around.

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '64 Daytona Hardtop
      You are right I zoomed in on the high resolution picture scanned on my hard drive and I do see the supercharged badge. It also looks like it is sporting Avanti hubcaps, was that normal for a Super GT Hawk package car?

sigpic
      John
      63R-2386

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '64 Daytona Hardtop
        You are right I zoomed in on the high resolution picture scanned on my hard drive and I do see the supercharged badge. It also looks like it is sporting Avanti hubcaps, was that normal for a Super GT Hawk package car?

No, someone must have just liked the Avanti wheel covers! The R1 and R2 engines/packages didn't get you special wheel covers.

That Hawk could be an R1. While R1 Avantis didn't get any engine badging on the body, R1 Larks and Hawks did.

Again, great photos, John.

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '64 Daytona Hardtop
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Hi John

Thanks for posting these pictures of a dealer I remember very well from that same period!

I attended college in Colorado in the mid-'70's and my sister and brother-in-law lived in Colorado Spring on Prospect off Platte Avenue (Colorado Highway 24) which is the road seen in the background.

When I visited them, during the day when they were working, I would walk out Platte since it was lined with small used car dealers. There was a ton of interesting used cars on the lots in those days.
          Beaucond Motors was one that I liked to go by to see what he had, in addition to the new Avanti II's there. There were always various Studebakers on the lot as well as higher end and sporty imports such as Jaguars, Alfas, MG's, etc.

One car I particularly recall was a '64 Daytona Convertible, dark blue with blue interior and black top in nice original condition. The asking price I recall was $1,200, something I didn't have. He knew the car was rare even then. I've often wondered who has that car now.

Does anyone know if Beaucond Motors had been a Studebaker dealer at one time?

That photo sure reminds me of the '70's!!!

Steve

Comment

Ya I think it's a 63 fender badge.

Joseph R. Zeiger
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Originally posted by okc63avanti

This was 33 years ago and about 80 to 90 lbs ago as well.
              Why, I'd have known ya anywhere!

Why that's mighty kind of you Dave; what you've been drinking tonight?

sigpic
              John
              63R-2386

Comment

Great pictures, John. Thanks for sharing them. Nice whipper snapper pose! [8D] I've got you by 4 months...class of '74. [^] We're seeing more vintage Studebakers & member's pictures lately. Keep 'em comin', folks.

Comment

Working...
                X