wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring harness

Just wondering about are there any stories ,about you finally realized you needed a wiring harness to drive your car?

I knew I needed a wiring harness for our '54 Commander Starliner, Grace, the day we brought it home from Virginia. After driving if off the trailer and into the garage, I started checking to see what worked and what didn't. When I pressed on the horn ring, all I could hear -- from under the steering wheel center -- was a bunch of snap, crackle, and pop. Of course, seeing a bunch of bare wires under the hood and under the dash didn't fill me with confidence in the original wiring either.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

"If the wire insulation is hard and it cracks/breaks when you flex it, you might need a new wiring harness. If the wires have ever shorted out resulting in a fire,....you might need a new wiring harness. If current doesn't flow from point A to point B,....you might need a new wiring harness."

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

How do I find one for a 57 Champion Sedan? Any suggestions?

Comment

Studebaker International has wiring harnesses for a 57 champion 6 cyl N.o.S I'm not sure about sedans. I would ask SI(studebaker international, Maybe a 58 champion will work.

Comment

My car the engine runs, headlights work,taillamps work, No blinkers, No fan , missing button for windshield motor, but no blades for wipers, I don't think thay work. My underdash has only 1 fuse ,but, reading the forum tech tips ,it says most have 2 fuses , one lower ,and one upper, go figure ?

Comment

Any Stories?, I have one,

On the first night of ownership , in her hometown cruize night parade, with her dad riding along for the parade, and in front of everyone in town, and holding up HUNDREDS of cars in the parade all thru the town, Lark VIII girls 60 Lark just quit running.
              I raised the hood, checked the battery cables. Checked for Fuel to carb, checked the dist ground wires. Lark VIII girl cranked the car and it would not start. By then she was so embarresed she hid on the floor under the steering wheel. My next guess was to wiggle the wiring harness and as soon as I toughed it, Lark VIII girl got the car started and running.
              When the car ran and I put the hood down I got a applause
              from the spectators and a lot of respect from Lark VIII Girl.

Husband of Lark VIII Girl.

Comment

I knew mine was bad the day I bought the car. The horn circuit AND the overdrive relay feed circuit had BOTH melted down and taken several adjacent wires with them. The plastic harness tape was melted all the way from the ammeter, through the firewall, to the voltage regulator. The horn wire had been replaced with Zip cord and was actuated by a pushbutton under the dash.

I drove it exactly thrice before embarking on a full rebuild. The new harness went in 8 weeks ago!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X