X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 m15

can anyone tell me how rare a 1942 m15 is i see they only made 770

randy belgum

Not many big trucks survived. They were generally used until they were all used up.

Unfortunately, rare doesn't equal valuable. There is not much of a market for big old trucks. They are hard to store, they don't go very fast, poor brakes, drive like a...well, like a truck, you need special tools to work on parts, they cost as much to restore as a similar age car, but there is no return on your "investment".

I do love them, however. Here's my former 1946 M15A-28. I had a lot of fun with it!

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Prewar trucks are rather rare in themselves as they were typically used hard and left for dead. The scrap drives of WWII claimed many as well.

As you note, the war created limited production runs of all 1942 models (trucks included) as manufacturing capacity was diverted to the military. From the picture that Steve posted earlier, it must have been early in the model run as it is not a "blackout model".

While 1942's are rare, that doesn't mean they are highly valuable. I think most collectors of M series trucks would rather have one of the 4,000 C-9 trucks made in 1945.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

mine is a one ton but it is the pick up style with single wheels if it makes a differance

randy belgum

Comment

Guido you wouldnt have a tail gate for it would you?

randy belgum

Comment

quote:Originally posted by belgum

Guido you wouldnt have a tail gate for it would you?
            I do not. I have a spare bed (without tailgate) but it is spoken for and I am dropping it off on my way to Reedsville. If you had a C cab I could help.

Comment

thanks but the bed on mine is very good the only damage on the whole truck is dented rear fenders which i can repair. its also is missing the crome for the grill

randy belgum

Comment

I love M-series trucks and really like the M-15's. You're a lucky guy. I don't think all those trucks got brightwork on the grilles. Chrome was hard to come by then. I would think the grille would be painted like Dick's M-16.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Hi Tom i found the truck in montana this is my first stude i am looking forward to tearing into it there are holes in the grill were crome was attached but i kind of like them better with out it i am still trying to find out how many of the 770 trucks built were 1 ton pick ups

randy belgum

Comment

Your truck may have had a trim strip, but I suspect it may not have been chrome as America was gearing up for the war effort. It was probably painted and not chrome, I had one a while back but may have sold it. If it is still around, Matthew would probably need to massage it to make it look better.

Comment

If it is a regular pickup bed, the tailgates are available as new reproductions. Not cheap, but how long before you find a used one, have it shipped, then re-work it?

Somebody correct me if this is not what he needs...

KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Does it look like this?

Comment

Bright trim on '41-42 M-Series,other than the hood name plate and the verticle grill center piece, was an option. BO model 90 Studebaker vehicles were manufactured from mid Jan to end of Jan '42. The bright trim was not offered on the post WWII M-Series.

Richard

Comment

hi Guys yes my truck does look like that and thanks Richard for the info i now Know what month my truck was made and grill options nice to know i can get a tail gate

randy belgum

Comment

Working...
                            X