PDA

View Full Version : Optimist seller, New lower price, Not low enough!

56H-Y6
11-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi

Listed as a '55, turns out to be a '57, purple and white, interesting to me as I'd like a President Classic with Stick shift. Never seen one go for this kind of money regardless of condition.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/1458725990.html

Steve

11-17-2009

Was $12K, now $9K, lovely purple & white!http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/1458725990.html

Everytime I see a car done in purple, I wonder why they never consider an eggplant type of dark purple.

Steve

barnlark
11-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Maybe it's got a Cuban '55 title. :D Looks like a very clean '57. 12K? Hmm..

StudeRich
11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
MAJOR Optimist! :D

If it had the original Paint and Interior Color it could be worth $7-$9,000.00 being a Manual probably Overdrive '57 President Classic long wheelbase Sedan. [:p]

However in Purple inside and out, [xx(] maybe $3000.00, he may not be ready for a $9000.00 loss, oh well that's reality!

StudeRich

JimsLeadCommander
11-12-2009, 03:06 AM
I think the two-tone color combo looks rather stunning. Sure, it's not 'original' but, so what? The car looks sharp and possibly a retired person in Miami who enjoys older automobiles and actually remembers Studebaker's (and has a bit of 'mad money') could possibly buy it before any of us out in the West get in gear and contact the owner to straighten him out as to the proper year model it 'tis.

JimsLeadCommander

jallen
11-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Looks good to me too[:0], could be a typo on the year, and it's hard to raise the price once it's listed. Be good for the Brand if he
could get 12K.

bams50
11-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Hey, it does say "negotiable" but "serious offers only"- maybe if he's offered the $3K actual value and tell him you're serious he'll sell;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag1-1.gif
GOD BLESS AMERICA

jimmijim8
11-12-2009, 06:08 AM
I woud buy cars like that for 3g's all day long. Ain't gonna happen.Tis a nice looker and appears to be worth from what I've been seeing bout 9000. I hope he gets his 12. Be good for the marque.I'll bet he'd take 10. My friends turn key real nice 57 Champion 4 dr. 6 std. od. sold for 3950. after not making the 4000 reserve on e-bay. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.

56H-Y6
11-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Hi

Yes, stunning in a "this-is-how-I-think-a-'50's-car-should-be-presented-but-in-too-broadly-handled" sort of way.

Ironically, if he wanted a flamboyant color, Studebaker offered Taupe Metallic and white in '57. Taupe metallic was a light violet metallic, looks very period correct, is a real eye catcher. For the interior, they had black and white all vinyl interior available. That would be a plenty striking combination, make the car far more desirable.

As far as $12K for a '57 President Classic, maybe good for preserving more of them but it'll never happen until there is more demand for them in the Studebaker community. At any national meet, there are hundreds of Larks of every description but you can count the number of these cars shown on one hand. Likewise, mid'50's sedans of all makes other than Chevrolet languish with depressed prices regardless of how nicely restored they might be.

Steve

barnlark
11-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by 56H-Y6

As far as $12K for a '57 President Classic, maybe good for preserving more of them but it'll never happen until there is more demand for them in the Studebaker community. At any national meet, there are hundreds of Larks of every description but you can count the number of these cars shown on one hand.

Steve, I'm not sure how narrow the category of "these cars" you mean, but they ('56-'58s) seem to be picking up in popularity at the national meets and on the restoration front. I love seeing them restored; very comfortable driving cars. We have more than a handful at our large local meets each summer. Folks really take care of those here. You're right, not many out there in this condition, that's for sure.

Are they pulling 12K? I haven't seen one from U.S. buyers do that, but who knows what the overseas buyers are paying. That seems to be a very different market. The color scheme isn't my favorite, but not so bad that it can't be changed to be closer to a stock color if one really hated it. That brings it down to much less than 10K, though.

I think there may have been many more C/K cars in Cedar Rapids than Larks this year. There were only hundreds of everything on the whole concours field, but certainly not hundreds of Larks. There were only a handful of Lark convertibles, however.

65cruiser
11-12-2009, 08:19 AM
12,000 might be a bit steep, but I'd have no trouble convincing my wife we needed that one. Purple is her favorite color;)

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
www.65cruiser.com

http://www.65cruiser.com/images/studewordy.jpg

56H-Y6
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi barnlark

Perhaps my statement "hundreds of Larks" is incorrect, more appropriately: dozens. Just the same the ratio of '56-'58 sedans and wagons to the Larks and/or C/K/Hawk models is highly disproportionate.

True, there is some increased in interest in these cars, and you are fortune to have meets available to you where they appear in numbers. The last time I had the pleasure of seeing a fairly large representation of this narrow span of years ('56-'58) was the South Bend meet in '07.

Personally, I probably shouldn't draw attention to these cars....being a frugal fellow....I still want to buy a very nice driver condition example at a very low price.

Steve

JimsLeadCommander
11-13-2009, 02:40 AM
Steve, don't we all? :)

JimsLeadCommander

N8N
11-17-2009, 09:59 PM
if it's really a prez classic that should have a T-85/OD... wouldn't mind getting my hands on that trans. Too bad that car is way too nice to part out...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Lark Hunter
11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
When the seller stated the car had a "re-modeled" interior, I expected something like a suspended ceiling and freshly hung sheetrock... Seriously. I was pleasantly surprised when I scrolled down. I'm usually not fond of modified stuff, but this one is very tastefully done (just my opinion). The color is also a thumbs up.[^] Price?? I wish him the best... LH

Straight from the horse's mouthhttp://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0109.gif

edited to correct spelling goof