Slow moving Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow moving Avanti

So I'm making a paratransit run from Vacaville back to Dixon when I get on Interstate 80 near Costco. As I accelerate to merge with traffic, in my rear view mirror in the slow lane is a white Avanti. It was a 64 or an Avanti II, not sure which one as it never got close enough to me. It was about 10am on Tuesday the 10th.

It was right behind me, so once I safely merged with the traffic, I slowed down to let it catch up. I was only doing about 50 to 55 and it just kept getting further behind till I couldn't see it any more.

I drove slow all the way back to Dixon but no luck....

Anyone know who that was and why such a fast car didn't catch up to a slow moving ReadyRide bus? I so wanted to show the car to my passenger. [V]

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

You have to slow down all the way to 1963 or 1964 for that to happen
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The Avanti driver maybe didnt appreciate your diesel exhaust?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

My guess is that the driver has respect for his car's ability and wants to maintain a safe following distance.

I've had people stop while making a right turn if I'm stopped at a light to get a look at the car much to the chagrin of people behind the inconsiderate driver. On the highway people insist on driving along side pacing me so they can tell me they like the car only to be drifting into my lane in the process. I've learned to either be ahead of or behind traffic whenever I can.

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

You only had one passenger?

Comment

Only one passenger and the bus is not diesel. I didn't slow down to the point that I was a hazard on the roadway. If I had, the car would have caught up with me. I wanted to see the car but not at the expense of creating a hazard on the road. He wasn't maintaining a safe following distance. He fell waaaaay back.

C'mon, I'm a professional driver....

Jon Stalnaker
            Editor, Hawk Talks
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I wasn't taking a shot at your driving Just offering the opinion of an Avanti driver that has been exposed to some weird behavior from other well meaning but potentially dangerous drivers. I've had people almost rear end me trying to read the nameplate on the trunk.

Of course I live in New Jersey so driving in any car is a challenge

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by Sdude

Only one passenger and the bus is not diesel. I didn't slow down to the point that I was a hazard on the roadway. If I had, the car would have caught up with me. I wanted to see the car but not at the expense of creating a hazard on the road. He wasn't maintaining a safe following distance. He fell waaaaay back.

C'mon, I'm a professional driver....

Jon Stalnaker
              Editor, Hawk Talks
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

On Interstates, I used to have people get up very close behind my 1953 Commander Starliner. I figured that they were trying to get close enough to read the trunk nameplate. I started to use a license plate frame with large, easy to read "Studebaker" on it. I no longer had the way too close problem. I still had people that veered to the right as they were passing me and looking at the car on their right.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

On the '63 Avanti I used to own, I had a bumper sticker attached to a plate under the rear tag saying "Don't Tailgate...Klingon Battle Cruiser"....just in case they didn't know what the car was.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I've had people pace me in the Avanti...they just want to see what it it.
                    Sometimes you can read their lips and make out a puzzeled look on their face. "Avanti?" "Studebaker?"

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                    X