Bit off More than I can Handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit off More than I can Handle

I recently bought a 1950 Commander Land Cruiser, had it shipped, found a place to store it and feebly work on it. Now that I've had a chance to get into the car, its WAY more than I know how to do. The car itself is in drivable condition, if it would start, I just don't know what to do next to get it to. The area I have to work on it is less than ideal as I have no way to get under the car plus poor lighting and NO electricity. Anyone interested in purchasing a project car? I have ordered a wiring harness so I would include that, plus a Chassis parts catalog, two shop manuals, a new 6 volt battery, NJ title, and an owner's manual too. So far I'm in around $4500 and it would be nice to not loose more than a few hundred bucks on my silly escapade.[B)]

Vehicle is near Rochester, NY. You would have to come and get it or arrange for shipping.

You can see pictures at http://www.tco-solutions.com/lc/default.html and I can post more of specific areas by request.

I forgot to add, I ordred the production order so that's included as well.

Serial #: 4443743
    Engine #: H41815I (I think those are supposed to be one's but they look like "I"s)
    Body Tag: 17A-Y5-16919

Just started working on a Bullet-Nose!

Comment

Ok man surely a little engine trouble isn't goin to discourage you. Thats a nice looking car!
      Like that old Indian Dude in the Outlaw Josey Whales said:

"We Must Endevor to persivere"

Hope I spelled at least part of that right,

Dean.

Comment

The first thing you want to do is replace those 12 volt battery cables with No. 0 6 volt cables. The load of cranking that 245 CI engine is more than those little wires will handle.

Try a Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply Co. for the right cables.

That car is in too good shape to loose. Hard to believe they made 17,000 '50 Land Cruisers.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Don't give up on it so soon. Surely their is a Stude nut or two closeby who would lend a hand. Get it to run and you'll feel much better, about your project.

Pat Skelly
          '62 GT Hawk
          '56 Sky Hawk
          '37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

Simplijm, I have gone back to all of the posts you have made to try to update myself on what you have told us about your car and its problems. I couldn't find any, so would love for you to let us know what is wrong with the car before you give up on it. There are a lot of guys who can give a lot of help to you right here on the forum. They know details and methods and tricks to get your problem fixed. It would mean a lot to me if you give this a chance and end up with the joy and satisfaction that this hobby can provide to you.

Thanks, Bob

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Let me add my voice of encouragement. I am certainly not a mechanic in any sense of the word, but through the use of a shop manual, good folks here on the Forum and in my local Chapter, it is amazing what can be accomplished. Consider purchasing a small generator (they are cheap these days) to give yourself some 120V power to provide lighting and some juice for various power tools.

Unless this is your only driver, there is no time limit on getting her up and running again! Keep us posted.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island Chapter
              http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

First off, thank you all for the encouragement. Tom, how do you know those are not 6 V battery cables!? I have no idea what the difference is. I would LOVE to get into the car and work on it. I'm not afraid to get dirty, but this is a little more than what I had bargained for.

I failed to mention, there is more to it than just ineptitude, trepidation, and lack of time/effort. I hit a major "domestic" hurdle and, in order to bring peace, this might be the best option.

Just started working on a Bullet-Nose!

Comment

No. 0 cables are almost 1/2 inch thick, the 5/16 ground strap (from the battery to the front head bolt) is the give-away.

My first Studebaker was a '50 Land Cruiser, back in '56. I'd love to have another one, but I, too, might have domestic problems if I added another car.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  ....On the road, again....
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

hrm . . . I guess I'll have to look into getting the right cables.

Comment

FWIW, the 1950 Land Cruiser is considered by some the ne plus ultra of the pre-V8 Studebakers. It has the long wheelbase, the bullet nose front and many other unique features. In fact, if it were on the left coast, and if I were willing to be divorced, I'd buy it from you.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

Jim, a running car will sell for more than a non-running car. I think you'll find that along with the satisfaction of doing your own work, there will be monetary rewards as well.

Wouldn't it be nice to take the significant other to the drive-in for a burger and soda before you get rid of it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that your domestic hurdle is that "mama" don't like it?
                          If so boy can I relate to that! Well she didn't like it at first anyway, since it has kinda grown on her.

I'm sure you will make the choice that is right for you and I hope you choose to keep pluggin away at it.

Where is this car?

Dean.

Comment

Dean ans Swifster, thanks guys. I would like to get it running and I know it would garner more running than not, but that'll take $ and she's got me on lock down there. I'm hoping that she'll come around in time, but I'm prepared to let it go while trying to convince her. Also, its in upstate NY and winter is quickly approaching. If it doesn't move soon, nothings going to happen until spring. I might be able to get the new wiring harness in by then and get it running so the situation may change dramatically then.

Until then though, I think I'll keep it open for sale should anyone be interested.

Comment

Man!!! [u]THAT</u> is a YELLOW car!!

But so what? LOVE to have it in MY collection. (Dreamer!)

John

Comment

Working...
                              X