Hydrovac/ 64 gt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrovac/ 64 gt

Helo all, Im a new member to this forum and have had a gt for 6 years, Its one of the best cars I've ever owned,, as with all classic's they need care now and then , my problem is the hydrovac,
    I drive this car weekly for years, and then I was not able to take it out but once a month,,,recently, I noticed a hard pedal and poor braking the pedal felt stiff... on the next ride a month or so later i noticed the disks were dragging and overheating, so i returned home and parked it, so now its been sitting for 3-4 months I pulled the front wheels and after a short time they were free.. so I thought it may have been a interrmitent problem, but soon as I fired it up the wheels locked up again,, so while running I pulled one wheel and sure enough it was locked....that got me thinking ?????? So I decided that in order to get back home again to disconnec the vacuum line form the booster and sure enough the wheels remained free... but the pedal was now way low but it had stopability..... so my question is? is there a hydrovac repair/rebuild kit available? and is it a job I can do myself??? I have a spare unit from a 62 drum car,,,, any body out there have a solution???? thanks again ... and a special thanks to Jeff Smith
    for selling me some much needed sheet metal, most is all ready installed and painted....now if i can paint the rest of the car and sell i can get an Avanti...

I was having the same problem on my 64 GT and figured it was the hydrovac, we changed the master cyl. and problem was fixed, try that first..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

My GT hawk has no hydrovac, as someone evidently needed it before I bought it. The brakes work, but a lot of petal pressure is required. Teh car has disk brakes up front. So far I haven't been able to find the proper hydrovac. Any out there? of any other solutions? Thanks David

Comment

I have some but would need o be worked over, where do you live??

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Most folks may know but. a factory disc brake car uses a different than drum brake booster. 2 cents worf. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
          X