repro C/K front fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repro C/K front fenders

Seeing as NOS front C/K fenders are going for over $1K per these days (note a recent ebay auction, as well as other private party sales that were the same or even higher). It would seem that someone w/ some $$ could use a set of NOS fenders to have some off shore company start making these again. Having worked on early Camaro/Firebirds most of the body panels are now available as repros and many of them are pretty good quality. Some I bought a few years ago were stamped in Belgium, but I think many are now are Chinese or even US. I know the market for these is much larger but I am sure there would be quite a bit of interest if they were available. I know there are fiberglass ones out there but they are just not the same as metal.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Seeing as NOS front C/K fenders are going for over $1K per these days (note a recent ebay auction, as well as other private party sales that were the same or even higher). It would seem that someone w/ some $$ could use a set of NOS fenders to have some off shore company start making these again. Having worked on early Camaro/Firebirds most of the body panels are now available as repros and many of them are pretty good quality. Some I bought a few years ago were stamped in Belgium, but I think many are now are Chinese or even US. I know the market for these is much larger but I am sure there would be quite a bit of interest if they were available. I know there are fiberglass ones out there but they are just not the same as metal.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    The tooling for several 1000 fenders might make sense economically, but a few 100 even at several $1000 a pop is out of the question. $1000 each is the price for reproduced 55 Chevy fenders with a much bigger market, maybe when NOS Studebakers reach 5K each.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

My thought for some time now has been this.what if patch panels were made for the rear section of front fenders?I mean a complete section,the inner and outer spot welded together,and weld that unit to the origional fender,I also mean a panel assembly that fits lkie to factory parts would mate!!! I'm kinda surprised C.E. did'nt do this.

Joseph R. Zeiger
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

If reproduction Studebaker bodyparts were made in China, I doubt if anybody would be happy. They likely wouldnt fit, they wouldnt look original, they would be covered in lead-based primer, and they would be produced from lighter gauge steel. Okay, I'm being prejudice, but I've had a lot of unhappy experiences with Chinese made items. [B)]

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        MN iron ore...it does your body good.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

My thought for some time now has been this.what if patch panels were made for the rear section of front fenders?I mean a complete section,the inner and outer spot welded together,and weld that unit to the origional fender,I also mean a panel assembly that fits lkie to factory parts would mate!!! I'm kinda surprised C.E. did'nt do this.

Joseph R. Zeiger
          This is close to the way that we repaired C/K fenders, that had a rusty rear section, years ago. We would cut and flange the original fender at the top of the wheel opening. Then we would cut an NOS fender at the same point and replace the rear half on the car. It would have been a lot more labor to replace the entire fender. Yes, I know that it used up NOS fenders, but they were plentiful then (early 1970s).

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

Joseph R. Zeiger
            Classic Enterprises DOES offer a vertical patch panel for the usual rust area...for $75 each
            Pass. side shown here.

Here's a link (scroll halfway down): http://www.classicent.com/coupes_hawks.php

Andy
            62 GT

Andy
            62 GT

Comment

But the patch doesn't include the bolt mounting flange.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
              MN iron ore...it does your body good.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Ya I've seen those and they get twisted and flattened and over bent.though as above I'd like to see a inner/outer unit dead nuts on,then grafted in.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                X