PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Studebaker questions?

Invalid User Name
11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Back in the days when I used to show my Champion I used to hate the stupid questions about Studebakers. I was wondering what idiot things you have been asked or what statements have been made to you about your car.

My favorite was always – “ Who made Studebaker?” I had several answers for this. My usual was – General Motors. They would invariably say, “Really?” I would answer “Yeah, but it was such a POS car that they didn’t want anyone to know it". This would usually get them to walk away. My other answer was, “ Bob, Bill, Pete, Harry, Fred, George, Tom…….. Usually they would walk away by then too.

One little boy got me though when he said how much he liked my car and asked; “Why don’t they make neat cars like this any more?”

Doug

Venice, Florida
1950 Champion 9G F1

Roscomacaw
11-06-2009, 11:34 AM
We've had numerous threads on this topic, and new-found comments come up all the time.
One of the most common gaffs is: "I like your Rambler!" :(

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30906179/aview/58_Avatar.jpg
1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

scott.rodgers
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
My favorite about my 60 Lark was the guy who insisted it was a Volvo and that it had a 6.

Scott Rodgers
Los Angeles
SDC Member since 1989
'60 Lark HT
'63 Wagonaire
'66 Frankenbaker

TDITS
11-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Dad brought my 51 pickup home when I was 15 it was my daily driver for high school in the mid 80's. I had several kids that didn't believe Studebaker ever made trucks. And they wouldn't believe me that my truck was original. I had one kid tell me it was a Studebaker tailgate on a chevy truck...yea ok so where did the tailgate come from?

tbredehoft
11-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I was stopped while leaving the grocery parking lot Monday. This fella was insistent that I give my car (55 State Sedan) (when I was done with it) to someone who would appreciate it. It shouldn't be allowed to (I guess) rust. I told him I planned to wear it out....

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
'55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
....On the road, again....
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All Indiana built cars

MikeW
11-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I was once told by a guy who claimed to know about Studebakers that they never made a car like mine (Packard Hawk). I, therefore, had a Golden Hawk that had been customized. Beats comparing it to a catfish, I guess! LOL

Mike
www.packardhawk.com

ceecab
11-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I used to get that one all the time
Studebaker never ever made a truck
Got that from a wizard who was standing next to the tail gate with the name emblazened on it
I was parked next to an R-2 Avanti when the same guy said they never made a V-8 either
Just sixes that burned more oil than gas and that were toast at about 30000 miles

At a different cruise a guy my age [old]entralled the crowd by explaining that the air cleaner on the back draft carb on the 55 coupe was a supercharger that made Studes the most feared car of the 50s

oh well- at least he got the last part right lol

I kept looking to see what on the car he was referring to-- and when I figured it out, had to whisper in his ear--ah- excuse me-- but that's the air cleaner

i did thank him for saying my coupe was the ultimate in 50s muscle though
lolol

tutone63
11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't mind stupid questions so much, at least they are trying to gain a better understanding of what is in front of them. I will answer any stupid question with respect and even exitement that someone took the time to ask me about my favorite car. Unless the question is something like "Weren't Studebakers the worst cars you ever saw?" Or something like that.

what irks me, though are know-it-alls who go on and tell me a detalied history that is nowhere near the truth, and then when someone who knows tries to correct them, they keep insisting to save face, even if the evidence is obvious against their case (actually, this irks me on any subject for that matter, whether it be science, history or current events)

I have come across alot of know it alls, most of whom I correct once, but if they press the issue, I just smile and try to chance the subject or leave. The only one I can remember off hand (and that I started a thread on) was the guy at the parts house who told me to call customer relations at the Crystler Corporation and ask them about obtaining parts for my Lark, since Crystler purchased all of Studebakers' blueprints and dies in 1964, and they still had all of the information on file. I just smiled and said "oh, really?" bought my oil filter and left.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpghttp://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/images/smilies/035.gif

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Andy R.
11-06-2009, 01:00 PM
This thread might be retitled "Stupid Studebaker declarations." There are no stupid questions, but plenty of know-it-all B.S.

I've never felt the need to give a snarky or misleading answer to any question, no matter how ignorant. That whole "Studebaker Ambassador" thing, y'know...

...no matter how many remedial readers point at the Hawk and declare "Gran Torino!!"
Curse you, Dirty Harry!;)

Andy
62 GT

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/3069855932_de3d120955_t.jpg

Milaca
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Andy R.

This thread might be retitled "Stupid Studebaker declarations." There are no stupid questions, but plenty of know-it-all B.S.

I've never felt the need to give a snarky or misleading answer to any question, no matter how ignorant. That whole "Studebaker Ambassador" thing, y'know...

...no matter how many remedial readers point at the Hawk and declare "Gran Torino!!"
Curse you, Dirty Harry!;)

Andy
62 GT

I'm with Andy on this one. I do my best to politely educate those that misidentify my car(s) and my Gran Turismo has been called a Gran Torino many times. And I had my 1964 Daytona identified as a Dodge at least once. I actually find this misidentification rather amusing. However the 'know it alls' occassionally get on my nerves. Even though they have never owned a Studebaker, they are confident that they know more about them than me just because they had a plastic model of one as a kid.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3939471781_afa477b3ae_t.jpg
[b]Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

Mark57
11-06-2009, 01:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Andy R.

Andy

Exactly! I am always happy to answer any question as that promotes Studebakers and a better understanding of same. These interchanges have led to numerous interesting conversations and contacts.

I usually try to correct the wrong assertions made by a few folks and to that end, when showing my truck I usually have a few printed materials around to prove my point if necessary. :)

The most common incorrect assumptions I have heard are: that the 289 in my truck is a Ford, genuine surprise that Studebaker made trucks and that Studebakers were manufactured by some other parent company.

<h5>[b]Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island Chapter
http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0443a.jpg

37Dictator
11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
This is not really a stupid Studebaker statement, but it is along the lines of funny mis-identifications. My driver is a 68 impala, a huge boat of a car, as long as a suburban... with impala emblems on the fenders, and Chevrolet script on the trunk lid, with a bowtie emblem on the front of the hood. I had a guy look my car over, and then ask me if it was a charger... ha!

Another mis-identification was when I was driving my 54 Belair, and a couple of guys were swearing up and down that it was a 57 Belair. No offense to the Studebaker guys, but a 57 Chevy has to be the most easily recognizable classic car out there! And my 54 was not even similar, but they wouldn't hear it, haha.

My buddies 1970 Olds Cutlass was mistaken for a mustang....

The best story is... I met a guy who said he had a supercharged, V8 Firebird... He had his hood open, and stood behind his story that it was a supercharged V8. I looked in and told him it was a V6, and I asked him where the supercharger was, he proceeded to point to the alternator... I asked him why he was telling people it was a supercharged V8, and he said the guy he bought it from told him that... What an idiot.

55champion
11-06-2009, 02:49 PM
At a car show a while back I was parked next to a row of Chevys,two ladies came by and wanted to know what kind of chevy was my 55 Champion. I tried to explain that it wasn't a chevy but a Studebaker,as they walked away one said to the other " I don't care what he said,my uncle had a chevy just like that one.."

Chris_Dresbach
11-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Had the Lawn-Lark at a small car show once. My favorite was: "Studebaker built a lawnmower?!" The most common question is always somthing along the lines of "Does it still have cutting blades?" or "Does it still mow grass?" The answer is No.

Chris Dresbach

JBOYLE
11-06-2009, 05:08 PM
At least you get some interesting question.
All we Avanti owners get are the lame (and increasingly annoying) Canadian questions.

Hey, stupid questions are one of the joys of Studebaker ownership.
At least questions show people care, which is probably more than some owners get...
I wonder if 57 Chevy owners get [u]any</u> questions?

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

fmarshall
11-06-2009, 05:11 PM
The one I hear most often:

That's a 289 Ford engine in the Avanti, right?

========================
63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
Martinez, CA
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/fmarshall_bucket/sigpic.jpg

Mr Speed 53
11-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Had my Avanti at a show and heard a guy telling his friend mine was a fibeglass copy and the real ones were made of steel in Canada.Another time I filling up and and older man said WOW you dont see these often.I said I know most people dont even know what it is and he replied you mean they dont recognize a Baracuda when they see one.This just a couple could go on and on.Ed

dong
11-06-2009, 08:24 PM
I think I must live in a far more educated community than y'all. (or probably just older and full of retired people). Almost all of the comments I get are: "my uncle (father, grandfather, brother, etc)had one", "they were ahead of their time", "is that a Golden Hawk?", "is it supercharged?" Have almost never heard a negative comment or a stupid one. Most all of the people I meet at car shows or on the street have good memories of Studebakers, or at least an appeciation of neat old cars and good memories of times past.

Don

candbstudebakers
11-06-2009, 08:27 PM
This summer after I got back for Cedar Rapids and we ran the 63 Avanti on the Salt on our way home I took in a local street fair and car show, of course the Avanti was the only one there, there was still some salt falling down as I had not taken it to the wash yet and people would start talking about the car some knew some things and some knew nothing and some figured they knew every thing, I told them we just got back from running it on the salt but most didn't believe it until I reached up under the inter edge of the fender and pull some down and say here put some of this in your mouth and tell me what it is, some did try a little and then asked how fast we went, just for the hell of it I told them about 140 and the supercharger still had more to give, all they could say was wow it must have been fun doing that , I said no we do it now and then just to keep it in shape, really only did about 110 a few times, I had this one guy come up and starting telling ma all about the Avanti's when he got done I said boy it sure would be nice to have someone like yourself come to one of our get togethers and fill us all in on what you don't know about the car and think you do, he said what? that is what I have heard about them , you know the same old things, built in Canada, 289 Ford engine, Ford superchargers, ford Rear ends, ect. he was nice about it after I spent some time and filled him in on most things....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
canbstudebakers-
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/CedarRapids210.jpg

mbstude
11-06-2009, 08:28 PM
One morning in High School, I got out of the '59 truck and walked inside the building. As I opened the door, this kid tells me, "Hey, I like that old Chevy truck you're driving." I said "Uh.. What's the tailgate say?" His response: "You sure that doesn't say Chevrolet?"

[V]

I had a guy ask me once, "Is that your Chrysler?" (Referring to my '58 Commander).

"Yea but it's a Studebaker, not Chrysler."

"Oh, okay. So what's in it, the 318?"

[V][V]

Before I had the AFB on it, a guy was looking at the "backdraft" Stromberg that was on the car. He said "Dude... What is THAT!? A turbo!?"

[V][V][V]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA

Bud
11-07-2009, 08:55 AM
I hear the same questions regularly, such as isn't your Avanti still being built in Canada with a Ford engine, or it was built by GM or American motors. Most people can't or don't read as they look at the lettering on the door of my 62 GT and call it a Gran Torino and then ask if it's a Mercedes and are you sure that it really has a Studebaker 289 and not a Ford engine, and then I say does the engine even remotely look like a small block Ford engine. Fortunately, most people can be educated about Studebakers if you take the time to do some talking. Bud

52-fan
11-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I never mind people asking questions. It's the "experts" who never owned a Studebaker and are probably illiterate who spout "facts" to anyone in earshot and will not recant even if an experienced Studebaker owner tries to clue them in. They are adamant about what their uncle, neighbor or friend told them 20 years ago about a car they barely remember.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/52-fan/StudebakersofArkansas2-1.jpg"In the heart of Arkansas."
1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas

showbizkid
11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Barney hasn't seen a lot of road miles (yet :D), so the most common statement I hear is from parts counter guys who say "man, it must be hard to get parts for those" -- as I'm buying points x-ref'd to a '63 Impala, or something else equally off-the-shelf.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
www.studebakersandiego.com

S2DSteve
11-07-2009, 11:18 AM
My new favorite response to the "Studebaker was way ahead of their time" remark...

"Yep, they even went broke before everyone else..."

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/S2DSteve/Family12-1-2.jpg
Steve Hudson
The Dalles, Oregon
1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
1960 Hawk (future project?)

Play Wagon
11-07-2009, 11:27 AM
I recall a conversation I had not so long ago at the opening of a show at a local art gallery. I was exchanging pleasantries with a successful, well-established and otherwise intelligent local Brand X dealer when he mentioned something about when "...the Granatelli brothers bought Studebaker...". Since his wife, a fellow gallery member was standing within earshot, I declined to correct him and risk his embarrassment. But, then again, she might've gotten a kick out of it[:I].
JSC

silverhawk
11-07-2009, 11:48 AM
The worst I have had so far is from a parking lot attendant at our church. I saw him looking it over from a window after the service, so I went out after a little bit and tinkered with it while waiting for my dad. He came up and said "I like your Rambler!" I said thanks, but its a Studebaker. He had to inspect MY car, to make sure I was right. When he finally found the studebaker script, he belived me. Then he askes,"So does it have the 327 in it?" Maybe it was becuase I was 15, I don't know,LOL! Its fun educating them, even though they they don't usually like to get it from a kid less than half there age,LOL!

Dylan Wills
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr200/1961lark/My%201961%20studebaker%20lark/Watcomcountyminimeet09andJamesBe-1.jpg

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon

Milaca
11-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Dylan, I'd love to see a picture of your Studebaker. Maybe you can replace the picture of that blue Rambler wagon with a picture of your Studebaker sometime? ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3939471781_afa477b3ae_t.jpg
Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

silverhawk
11-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't got one, I got a Datsun though. [:o)]

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr200/1961lark/My%201961%20studebaker%20lark/100_6003-1.jpg
(I can't get it any bigger, but it says Christiansen Motor Sales, Studebaker-Datsun, Caldwell, Idaho.)

Dylan Wills
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr200/1961lark/My%201961%20studebaker%20lark/Watcomcountyminimeet09andJamesBells.jpg
'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon

junior
11-07-2009, 03:21 PM
At a recent show and shine I had the hood up on my 54 coupe that has a SBC in it. The engine has 'Studebaker Thunderbolt 283' stickers on it. I overheard a father saying to his son "look, it still has it's original engine" Go figure, if it says Studebaker then it must be Studebaker. Junior

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/studejunior/stude0909023-1.jpg

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.

Invalid User Name
11-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Quote S2DSteve - "My new favorite response to the "Studebaker was way ahead of their time"

"Yep, they even went broke before everyone else..."

I love that. I just might have to start going to car shows again so I can use that one. :D

Doug

Venice, Florida
1950 Champion 9G F1

avantilover
11-07-2009, 06:13 PM
It's a good line but as real as the claims that our 259 engine is a Ford. Studebaker chose to ended auto production, they never went broke.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

COMMANDERPINK1
11-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I also hear alot from people who said they knew someone who had a Hawk and it had a 327 with a Powerglide transmission, I would ask if they put the drivetrain in the car and they would say no and that was a Studebaker drivetrain, Id inform them other wise tho they would not believe you.

54stude
11-07-2009, 08:57 PM
At least a dozen people in the last 10 years have mentioned to me at gas stations or shows that "I like your Jaguar".

I guess my 54 champion coupe really does have that "European styling"!

54 Champion coupe
48 Champion Convert