Stupid Studebaker questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Studebaker questions?

We've had numerous threads on this topic, and new-found comments come up all the time.
    One of the most common gaffs is: "I like your Rambler!"

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My favorite about my 60 Lark was the guy who insisted it was a Volvo and that it had a 6.

Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      '60 Lark HT
      '63 Wagonaire
      '66 Frankenbaker
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Dad brought my 51 pickup home when I was 15 it was my daily driver for high school in the mid 80's. I had several kids that didn't believe Studebaker ever made trucks. And they wouldn't believe me that my truck was original. I had one kid tell me it was a Studebaker tailgate on a chevy truck...yea ok so where did the tailgate come from?
        TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

I was stopped while leaving the grocery parking lot Monday. This fella was insistent that I give my car (55 State Sedan) (when I was done with it) to someone who would appreciate it. It shouldn't be allowed to (I guess) rust. I told him I planned to wear it out....

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          ....On the road, again....
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

I was once told by a guy who claimed to know about Studebakers that they never made a car like mine (Packard Hawk). I, therefore, had a Golden Hawk that had been customized. Beats comparing it to a catfish, I guess! LOL

Mike

Comment

I used to get that one all the time
              Studebaker never ever made a truck
              Got that from a wizard who was standing next to the tail gate with the name emblazened on it
              I was parked next to an R-2 Avanti when the same guy said they never made a V-8 either
              Just sixes that burned more oil than gas and that were toast at about 30000 miles

At a different cruise a guy my age [old]entralled the crowd by explaining that the air cleaner on the back draft carb on the 55 coupe was a supercharger that made Studes the most feared car of the 50s

oh well- at least he got the last part right lol

I kept looking to see what on the car he was referring to-- and when I figured it out, had to whisper in his ear--ah- excuse me-- but that's the air cleaner

i did thank him for saying my coupe was the ultimate in 50s muscle though
              lolol

Comment

I don't mind stupid questions so much, at least they are trying to gain a better understanding of what is in front of them. I will answer any stupid question with respect and even exitement that someone took the time to ask me about my favorite car. Unless the question is something like "Weren't Studebakers the worst cars you ever saw?" Or something like that.

what irks me, though are know-it-alls who go on and tell me a detalied history that is nowhere near the truth, and then when someone who knows tries to correct them, they keep insisting to save face, even if the evidence is obvious against their case (actually, this irks me on any subject for that matter, whether it be science, history or current events)

I have come across alot of know it alls, most of whom I correct once, but if they press the issue, I just smile and try to chance the subject or leave. The only one I can remember off hand (and that I started a thread on) was the guy at the parts house who told me to call customer relations at the Crystler Corporation and ask them about obtaining parts for my Lark, since Crystler purchased all of Studebakers' blueprints and dies in 1964, and they still had all of the information on file. I just smiled and said "oh, really?" bought my oil filter and left.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

This thread might be retitled "Stupid Studebaker declarations." There are no stupid questions, but plenty of know-it-all B.S.

I've never felt the need to give a snarky or misleading answer to any question, no matter how ignorant. That whole "Studebaker Ambassador" thing, y'know...

...no matter how many remedial readers point at the Hawk and declare "Gran Torino!!"
                  Curse you, Dirty Harry!

Andy
                  62 GT

Andy
                  62 GT

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Andy R.

This thread might be retitled "Stupid Studebaker declarations." There are no stupid questions, but plenty of know-it-all B.S.

I've never felt the need to give a snarky or misleading answer to any question, no matter how ignorant. That whole "Studebaker Ambassador" thing, y'know...

...no matter how many remedial readers point at the Hawk and declare "Gran Torino!!"
                    Curse you, Dirty Harry!

Andy
                    62 GT
                    I'm with Andy on this one. I do my best to politely educate those that misidentify my car(s) and my Gran Turismo has been called a Gran Torino many times. And I had my 1964 Daytona identified as a Dodge at least once. I actually find this misidentification rather amusing. However the 'know it alls' occassionally get on my nerves. Even though they have never owned a Studebaker, they are confident that they know more about them than me just because they had a plastic model of one as a kid. [B)]

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Andy R.

Andy
                      Exactly! I am always happy to answer any question as that promotes Studebakers and a better understanding of same. These interchanges have led to numerous interesting conversations and contacts.

I usually try to correct the wrong assertions made by a few folks and to that end, when showing my truck I usually have a few printed materials around to prove my point if necessary.

The most common incorrect assumptions I have heard are: that the 289 in my truck is a Ford, genuine surprise that Studebaker made trucks and that Studebakers were manufactured by some other parent company.[B)]

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island Chapter
                      http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

This is not really a stupid Studebaker statement, but it is along the lines of funny mis-identifications. My driver is a 68 impala, a huge boat of a car, as long as a suburban... with impala emblems on the fenders, and Chevrolet script on the trunk lid, with a bowtie emblem on the front of the hood. I had a guy look my car over, and then ask me if it was a charger... ha!

Another mis-identification was when I was driving my 54 Belair, and a couple of guys were swearing up and down that it was a 57 Belair. No offense to the Studebaker guys, but a 57 Chevy has to be the most easily recognizable classic car out there! And my 54 was not even similar, but they wouldn't hear it, haha.

My buddies 1970 Olds Cutlass was mistaken for a mustang....

The best story is... I met a guy who said he had a supercharged, V8 Firebird... He had his hood open, and stood behind his story that it was a supercharged V8. I looked in and told him it was a V6, and I asked him where the supercharger was, he proceeded to point to the alternator... I asked him why he was telling people it was a supercharged V8, and he said the guy he bought it from told him that... What an idiot.

Comment

At a car show a while back I was parked next to a row of Chevys,two ladies came by and wanted to know what kind of chevy was my 55 Champion. I tried to explain that it wasn't a chevy but a Studebaker,as they walked away one said to the other " I don't care what he said,my uncle had a chevy just like that one.."

Comment

Had the Lawn-Lark at a small car show once. My favorite was: "Studebaker built a lawnmower?!" The most common question is always somthing along the lines of "Does it still have cutting blades?" or "Does it still mow grass?" The answer is No.

Chris Dresbach
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

At least you get some interesting question.
                              All we Avanti owners get are the lame (and increasingly annoying) Canadian questions.

Hey, stupid questions are one of the joys of Studebaker ownership.
                              At least questions show people care, which is probably more than some owners get...
                              I wonder if 57 Chevy owners get [u]any</u> questions?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X