No announcement yet.

shipping costs- Just the facts, ma'am!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping costs- Just the facts, ma'am!

The cost of shipping nice Western Studes to us rust-eaten East-coasters is frequently asked about here. Having just bought Dick's Lark wagon in WA and needing to get it to NY, I have just gotten into this subject. There always seem to be claims and vague answers thrown around; so here is my ACTUAL experience:

NOTE: All prices are from WA to NY; also- most shippers have several options- door-to-door, door-to-terminal, terminal-to-door, and terminal-to-terminal (terminal meaning one of the shipper's centralized pick-up/drop-off points):

DAS- The one you get if you click on the "quote" button in an eBay ad: $948 t-to-t, requiring Dick to bring it to their Lakewood terminal (120 mi. each way for him[xx(])... for extra cost of course, which he agreed to... then I'd have to get it in Syracuse (30 mi. each way)... $1235 Lakewood to my door, $1460 d-to-d

Able transport- $1175 d-to-t in Buffalo (175 mi. each way for me)

Peg Trucking- $1250 d-to-d

I went with Peg; saves Dick from having to haul it, saves me from having to haul it home in the snow and salt at the busiest time of the year for me.

These are my ACTUAL results. I've heard cheaper quoted, but didn't see any actual evidence of that.

No question it's nice to buy Western cars; and I recommend it if you can! But if you want a lesser-value Stude, be sure to figure how much rust repair you personally are willing to tackle to save all or some of the $12-$1400 or so in shipping costs; also, the above prices are for a RUNNING car with operational brakes; most won't mess with non-runners...

I'll update this thread in a few weeks when the car arrives.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Thanks for the info, Bams.

Others could post their experience with real examples, too, for comparison.
    How about it?

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
    53 Starliner Hardtop
    Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Thanks for the info, Bams.

Others could post their experience with real examples, too, for comparison.
      How about it?

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
      53 Starliner Hardtop
      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

That sounds about right . I'm having one transported door to door from BC , Canada to here in the Niagara area of Ontario for $1550.00. Now this is by a firm that deals with moving autos and they also carry up to $75,000 insurance on your vehicle while its in their care. These prices are in Cdn dollars as well so it sounds about the same as the earlier quote.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

That sounds about right . I'm having one transported door to door from BC , Canada to here in the Niagara area of Ontario for $1550.00. Now this is by a firm that deals with moving autos and they also carry up to $75,000 insurance on your vehicle while its in their care. These prices are in Cdn dollars as well so it sounds about the same as the earlier quote.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

It cost me $2200.cdn from Lake Havaseau Arizona to my door in Hamilton Ont. About 3yrs. ago.I believe crossing the border poses more expense than a in-country delivery.
            The only problem I encountered was the loader put the hold down strapes over the tie-rods & bent them all to rat-sh#%**.Although not liable for steering & brake components(most shippers are not)The CEO of the company being a Studebaker owner agreed to pay for the replacement parts needed.

Comment

It cost me $2200.cdn from Lake Havaseau Arizona to my door in Hamilton Ont. About 3yrs. ago.I believe crossing the border poses more expense than a in-country delivery.
              The only problem I encountered was the loader put the hold down strapes over the tie-rods & bent them all to rat-sh#%**.Although not liable for steering & brake components(most shippers are not)The CEO of the company being a Studebaker owner agreed to pay for the replacement parts needed.

Comment

I shipped my 64 Hawk from Tacoma Wa. to Toronto for $1200 CDN using SeaRail last summer. They picked the car up in Tacoma did the import paper work and I picked it up at the Canada Customs yard. Searail messed up picking the car up twice in Tacoma and as a Customer service they in turn delivered the car to my door for free from the customs yard. My recommendation is to use Searail for deliveries in Canada. They are less expensive than the competitor Hanson Forwarding.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I shipped my 64 Hawk from Tacoma Wa. to Toronto for $1200 CDN using SeaRail last summer. They picked the car up in Tacoma did the import paper work and I picked it up at the Canada Customs yard. Searail messed up picking the car up twice in Tacoma and as a Customer service they in turn delivered the car to my door for free from the customs yard. My recommendation is to use Searail for deliveries in Canada. They are less expensive than the competitor Hanson Forwarding.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                  PSMCDR 2013
                  Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Peg of Peg trucking is going to mention Studebakers on her web page since we are a big part of her business now. She knows the cars, knows how to use the correct tie downs and has been fair to me on over 100 deliveries.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
                    63 Avanti R1
                    63 Daytona convert
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    63 Lark 2 door #2
                    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                    60 Lark HT
                    60 Hawk
                    59 3E truck
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Peg of Peg trucking is going to mention Studebakers on her web page since we are a big part of her business now. She knows the cars, knows how to use the correct tie downs and has been fair to me on over 100 deliveries.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      63 Lark 2 door #2
                      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                      60 Lark HT
                      60 Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I used DAS two years ago and had nothing but grief. Was shipping a non-operating '64 hardtop from near San Francisco to Kansas City. $1200 and they took 3 weeks when they had said only 1 week. told me I could follow the tracking on their website...but then couldn't since they had brokered it to someone else because it was a non-op. They only track their own trucks and not those they broker to. NEVER AGAIN FOR DAS.

Second shipment I used PEG for my '57 Transtar 1/2 ton after seeing sveral recommendations from JDP. It was a non-op also but came from near Yakima Wa. to Kansas City just a year ago. $1100 door to door and they even had to hire a rollback to load and unload at each end since they were using a 53 ft flatbed to transport. The additional rollback costs came out of their fee not an adder to me. Got it here in one week. Peg will move some vehicles themselves and broker some of the longer ones as I was told by Peg herself. I was very impressed with the service and also the follow-up customer service. I will definitely use them again when I need something moved.

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                        '64 Daytona HT
                        \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                        \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

I used DAS two years ago and had nothing but grief. Was shipping a non-operating '64 hardtop from near San Francisco to Kansas City. $1200 and they took 3 weeks when they had said only 1 week. told me I could follow the tracking on their website...but then couldn't since they had brokered it to someone else because it was a non-op. They only track their own trucks and not those they broker to. NEVER AGAIN FOR DAS.

Second shipment I used PEG for my '57 Transtar 1/2 ton after seeing sveral recommendations from JDP. It was a non-op also but came from near Yakima Wa. to Kansas City just a year ago. $1100 door to door and they even had to hire a rollback to load and unload at each end since they were using a 53 ft flatbed to transport. The additional rollback costs came out of their fee not an adder to me. Got it here in one week. Peg will move some vehicles themselves and broker some of the longer ones as I was told by Peg herself. I was very impressed with the service and also the follow-up customer service. I will definitely use them again when I need something moved.

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                          '64 Daytona HT
                          \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                          \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

One of these days the whole issue of buying from the west will be mute. So many cars will be shipped east that you'll find good cars in the east, too. That's probably already happening. I'll let the others scramble for western cars and wring their hands over the issue. As for me, I'll just be content to give eastern cars a chance. If you'll notice, the 1965 Daytona that surfaced here in Minnesota a little while back has practically no rust in any spot where it matters.

Good luck to those who bow to the west daily. I can find good cars right where I live.
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

One of these days the whole issue of buying from the west will be mute. So many cars will be shipped east that you'll find good cars in the east, too. That's probably already happening. I'll let the others scramble for western cars and wring their hands over the issue. As for me, I'll just be content to give eastern cars a chance. If you'll notice, the 1965 Daytona that surfaced here in Minnesota a little while back has practically no rust in any spot where it matters.

Good luck to those who bow to the west daily. I can find good cars right where I live.
                              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
                              X