Choke issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke issue?

This morning I was going to drive the 63 Daytona to work. She's got the OHV6 and after a quick start I got out to open the garage door and she died. Would not restart.
    This happened once before and when I got home from work, it fired right up. I'm thinkin' the choke plate isn't closing enough on start-up. When I get home today I'll remove the air cleaner and eyeball the choke plate. Should it be totally closed or open a crack? OR am I climbing the wrong tree? Tanks!

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. - Edward R. Murrow

Since nobody has helped you Tom I'll have a shot at it. Making sure the engine has been sitting overnight, remove the air cleaner, depress the gas pedal once and release and check the choke plate. It should be closed with a slight amount of tension to keep it that way. Start the engine with the air cleaner off and observe the choke plate, it should open some , maybe 1/4 to 1/3rd of the way and start opening more as the engine warms up. If it opens up too much right away the engine will die indicating the chokestat needs to be enriched some. This is done by loosening the screws and turning the cover a notch or two towards rich.Hope this helps.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

You bet it helps, Frank, thank you!

Comment

To add to Frank's correct advice. Also,check your fast idle adjustment. If the choke is working properly but the fast idle isn't fast enough you could get a stall.

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Since nobody has helped you Tom I'll have a shot at it. Making sure the engine has been sitting overnight, remove the air cleaner, depress the gas pedal once and release and check the choke plate. It should be closed with a slight amount of tension to keep it that way. Start the engine with the air cleaner off and observe the choke plate, it should open some , maybe 1/4 to 1/3rd of the way and start opening more as the engine warms up. If it opens up too much right away the engine will die indicating the chokestat needs to be enriched some. This is done by loosening the screws and turning the cover a notch or two towards rich.Hope this helps.

Frank van Doorn
        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Conv
        1941 Champion R-2 Rod

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

This is not suggested as a permanent fix, but if you need to get the car started and get on the road when this happens, remember this...

You can always "manually" choke the carb by taking off the air cleaner and depressing/closing the choke plate, maybe putting a set of vise grips or other item to hold it temporarily (or just standing there with a cup of coffee, holding it!) until the engine will idle well without it being closed. Open the choke plate and get on your way. Again, this is a non-elegant solution to use when you really need to get out of the driveway and on your way!

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
          '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Thanks Paul, I learned the hard way once in my 57 Champion with a two barrel carb. It wasn't 3am then and I could get it restarted using that very procedure.

Comment

Even if the choke isn't working, if your accelerator pump is working properly, a few tromps on the accelerator pedal prior to turning the key should make it rich enough to start.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Also, one other thing.. If after starting up and the choke does not come off full choke.. Replace the choke pulloff on the side of the carb.. The're easy to check just suck on it.. UUGGHHH !!

Comment

Working...
                X