'50 and '51 Studebaker radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '50 and '51 Studebaker radios

How often were the radios changed in the early '50s Studes? I'm looking for a good '51 radio to install and a friend in the local club has one from a '50 Champion. Is there a difference?

[img=left]http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella3.jpg[/img=left]1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

The radios in 50 and 51 should fit either dash. That said, there were 6-tube and 8-tube models; manual or pushbutton. I would think the critical application would be the trim level. Chrome bezels on the radios were either stand alone, for custom cars that didn't have the full dash chrome or deluxe, for cars that had full dash chrome. Either radio would work; which one will fit your dash trim?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The radios in 50 and 51 should fit either dash. That said, there were 6-tube and 8-tube models; manual or pushbutton. I would think the critical application would be the trim level. Chrome bezels on the radios were either stand alone, for custom cars that didn't have the full dash chrome or deluxe, for cars that had full dash chrome. Either radio would work; which one will fit your dash trim?
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The top back of the ones out of 50's tended to have a squared look, the 51 and 52 models had a tapered top back so that the electric wipers would work. Generally a 51 or 52 radio will fit in a 50-52 but not all 50 radios will fit in 50-52 cars.

If you want pictures to better explain I probably have some of both in my stash.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk
        1964 Convertable
        1967 Avanti
        Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The top back of the ones out of 50's tended to have a squared look, the 51 and 52 models had a tapered top back so that the electric wipers would work. Generally a 51 or 52 radio will fit in a 50-52 but not all 50 radios will fit in 50-52 cars.

If you want pictures to better explain I probably have some of both in my stash.

Milt

1961 Hawk
          1964 Convertable
          1967 Avanti
          Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Sounds like this one may be for just a '50 then. I don't think it had a tapered top back. Here's a few pics of it and of my delete plate (before I cleaned it up a little)...

[img=left]http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella3.jpg[/img=left]1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Comment

Sounds like this one may be for just a '50 then. I don't think it had a tapered top back. Here's a few pics of it and of my delete plate (before I cleaned it up a little)...

Comment

Eman, as far as I know, the visible parts of the '50 and '51 radios are the same, but as Miltie says, the back cover on the '51 is slanted to allow room for the wiper motor, which was changed for '51.

I have a '50 radio at home with the back cover notched out to clear the '51 wiper motor. So, if you're willing to cut the back cover, you ought to be able to make it work.

You can have the notched cover I have if I can get an intact one back, and you pay the postage.

I'm NOT certain if this would get by the judges at a show, though. There may be subtle differences in the dial or bezel. But it is an almost-will-fit.[8D]

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Eman, as far as I know, the visible parts of the '50 and '51 radios are the same, but as Miltie says, the back cover on the '51 is slanted to allow room for the wiper motor, which was changed for '51.

I have a '50 radio at home with the back cover notched out to clear the '51 wiper motor. So, if you're willing to cut the back cover, you ought to be able to make it work.

You can have the notched cover I have if I can get an intact one back, and you pay the postage.

I'm NOT certain if this would get by the judges at a show, though. There may be subtle differences in the dial or bezel. But it is an almost-will-fit.[8D]

Comment

I have three radios I repaired for fun and are now sitting on the shelf. New speakers,vibrator, and all voltage filter and DC block capacitors replaced. I paid about $150 for them non- operating, on Ebay and have about $70 in parts invested. The one pictured is a 1951 model with slanted back.
                    I have two of these. Also have a 1950 square back. The chrome on this one is very good and also has the mounting bolt. It's a hassle to mail but if you want it, email me off the forum
                    and we can talk price.

1950 Champion Starlight
                    1963 Hawk GT
                    Santa Barbara
                    CA
                    The 1950 Champion Starlight
                    Santa Barbara
                    CA

Comment

I have three radios I repaired for fun and are now sitting on the shelf. New speakers,vibrator, and all voltage filter and DC block capacitors replaced. I paid about $150 for them non- operating, on Ebay and have about $70 in parts invested. The one pictured is a 1951 model with slanted back.
                      I have two of these. Also have a 1950 square back. The chrome on this one is very good and also has the mounting bolt. It's a hassle to mail but if you want it, email me off the forum
                      and we can talk price.

1950 Champion Starlight
                      1963 Hawk GT
                      Santa Barbara
                      CA
                      The 1950 Champion Starlight
                      Santa Barbara
                      CA

Comment

Thanks for the info, suggestions and responses. I'm checking to see if it had the tapered top back now via email. The price is a little higher than what I expected, so if it falls through, I may check back with you guys on yours.

Comment

Thanks for the info, suggestions and responses. I'm checking to see if it had the tapered top back now via email. The price is a little higher than what I expected, so if it falls through, I may check back with you guys on yours.

Comment

Working...
                          X