289 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 oil leak

I have been trying to locate an oil leak on my recently rebuilt 289. It looks like it is seeping between the head and the block in front near where the engine number is located.Is it possible for it to leak there? I am stumped. It doesn't appear to be coming from the pipe plugs in the head, the valve cover, or the valley cover. I used the the steel shim head gasket when I rebuilt it.

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

I have seen the fan blow oil out of the oil fill tube on an older engine, with the center oil fill tube. The gasket under the oil fill tube could be seeping. Also, have had a dented corner on a valve cover causing it not to seat well. If it is a full flow engine, the oil tube block-off plate might be leaking. If you have the oil fill tube, is the plug in place on the side of the tube? Finally, did you have the heads checked for warpage?

Comment

Thanks Chuck. The block and heads were milled flat. I just wondered if it was possible for the oil feed hole that goes through the block, could seep oil to the outside. I will check some of the other things you suggested.

66 Commander R1 Clone
      51 Commander 4dr
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I've heard of the same spot leaking on the other side, where the oil pressure gauge hose is attached. Have you retorqued the heads yet, after the rebuild. Could be the combination of high oil pressure from the newness and a need for tighter bolts...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
        55 President State Sedan
        70 Avanti (R3)
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
        X