1947 Champion Coupe Express info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Champion Coupe Express info needed

I received the images above maybe 8-9 years ago and neglected to record who sent them. On the back the sender wrote, "I did this for my son a few years ago." It appears that the '47 was re-restored sometime in the not too distant past. Wish I had better angle of the finished product. I believe Needham's Motors was in Australia. The Pty. Ltd. means "propriety limited." Note that the back glass was changed and a new box was built. Anyone know who and where the current owner is?

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn

That restore job is beautiful! I would love to have a 50 like that. Much better looking than the original modification.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

That thing is sooooo coooll!

Chris Pile
      Editor: The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

What a great Studebaker. How much of that was originally
        shipped knocked down and the rest Australian fabbed, do
        you suppose? Beautiful job from what we can see so far.
        It has to still be pampered somewhere down there, right?
        I can't wait to see more. Maybe Ian will ship it back to Bob
        as a gift.

Comment

Nice job restoring,i liked the rear window out of a 4 dr sedan, wonder if they put a 51 one piece windshield in also, looked to be a business coupe originaly.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Needham's was in Sydney NSW - Bert Needham whose car Bob Palma I think once posed a Youtube link to his Bathurst (NSW) racing exploits was sadly killed some years ago when hit in the head by the fan blade which had come adrift and hit Bert in the forehead. He died 3 days or so later. May I suggest Richard contact the Studebaker Car Club of New South Wales by either http://www.studebakercarclubnsw.com or sccnsw@hotmail.com. I hope they will be able to assist.

John Clements
            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
            Lockleys South Australia
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

hello all , the top two photos were taken near Dubbo , New south Wales , on the farm of Mr Robin Blekemore , Robin was a friend of Bert Needham and purchased this ute from his estate , i viewed it not long after Robin drove it out from Sydney . I think it was later sold to a Mr Menzies who restored it in another form ,v8 engine and different paint job. others from aussie may have more up to date news. cheers from roger.

R.A.Jennings
              R.A.Jennings

Comment

The tips are getting closer...any better pictures down there?

Edit: RQ, as you've probably already discovered,
                there is a Noel Menzies in New South Wales found in the
                SDC registry. There isn't a Ute, only a '63 Cruiser listed under
                the family listing in the roster. Probably just not up to date.
                He even has an email for your questions. Hope you get a response.

Comment

Ah, yes. That would make sense. Noel and his wife visited the U.S. in 1999 and rather than renting a car Noel had his brother (who lived in New England) buy him an old car (a 1989 Chevy Celebrity wagon) to see the U.S.A. As it happened Mokena was their last stop and they stayed here a few days and took the train in to see the wonders of Chicago. Before departing Noel and I made a trade. He gave me the Chevy wagon and I gave him an M series truck to take home! It was a 1/24th scale replica. I drove that 4 cyl wagon for 6 years with minimal problems and put 25,000 miles on it. In 2005 I sold it for $300 with over 239,000 miles on the odometer (and still running well). One of the best trades I ever made! It is now clear that Noel had sent me those photos of the Needham Coupe Express. Thanks everyone for the comments and tips. I will contact Noel regarding the vehicle.

Richard Quinn
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                  X