Packard V8 in 1955 Ambassador

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard V8 in 1955 Ambassador

Did they put 320 cubic inch Packard V8s in Hudsons and Nashes?

quote:Originally posted by herbpcpa

Did they put 320 cubic inch Packard V8s in Hudsons and Nashes?
    I believe until mid-year 1956, then AMC came out with their own V8. (327)

Craig

Comment

I don't know what the cubic inches were. But, yes, they did. My Dad had one with the Ultramatic behind it.

Claude Chmielewski
      Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
      47 M-16 Truck
      62 GT Hawk
      63 Lark
      64 Commander Wagonaire
      50 Champion Regal (parts car)
      63 GT Hawk R2
      [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
      1936 Dictator
      1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
      1953 Commander Regal HT
      1953 2R5 Pickup
      1947 M16 Truck
      1960 Lark VIII Convertible
      1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
      1962 Champ 7E5 no box
      1962 GT Hawk
      1963 Lark VI 4 dr
      1963 GT Hawk R2
      1964 Daytona Convertible
      1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Yes, they put the 320" Clipper V8 in the '55 Nash Ambassador and Hudson Hornets. However, Studebaker-Packard would only sell them to take a 7.8 low compression 2-bbl version. In the first half of '56 they used the 2-bbl 352". By mid-year, AMC had developed their on 287-327" V8 and started using them.

Part of the reason AMC built their own V8 is there had been an agreement S-P was supposed to source an equivalent volume of parts from AMC. Since by this time S-P had decided to get out of the car business, they reneged on the shared sourcing.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

I posted a listing for an NOS one for sale recently on this Forum.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Some of you may recall that this was all caused by a Plant burning down!

If my memory serves, it was the GM Hydramatic Plant that supplied Nash & Hudson with Automatic Transmissions. So to get the Ultramatic Transmissions, they had to buy Packard's complete Engine/Trans. setup. [:0]

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi, Rich,

quote:Some of you may recall that this was all caused by a Plant burning down!

If my memory serves, it was the GM Hydramatic Plant that supplied Nash & Hudson with Automatic Transmissions. So to get the Ultramatic Transmissions, they had to buy Packard's complete Engine/Trans. setup.
              If an automatic were the sole reason for going with Packard, wouldn't it have been offered across all model lines? Did AMC then use the TwinUltramatic behind the flathead sixes also?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Hi, Rich,

quote:Some of you may recall that this was all caused by a Plant burning down!

If my memory serves, it was the GM Hydramatic Plant that supplied Nash & Hudson with Automatic Transmissions. So to get the Ultramatic Transmissions, they had to buy Packard's complete Engine/Trans. setup.
                If an automatic were the sole reason for going with Packard, wouldn't it have been offered across all model lines? Did AMC then use the TwinUltramatic behind the flathead sixes also?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

From Wikipedia. I knew their first V8 was a 250, but that's all I recalled about it. Here's the poop.......

As part of a larger Packard plan of merging with Nash, Hudson and Studebaker, AMC President George W. Mason had a verbal agreement with Packard that the two companies would supply parts for each other when practical. AMC started buying Packard V8s in 1954 for the big 1955 Nash Ambassador and Hudson Hornet. These were supplied with Packard "Ultramatic" automatic transmissions - exclusively. Packard sent AMC some parts bids, but were rejected as too expensive. George W. Romney, AMC's new head decided against further relationships with Packard.

Romney ordered his engineering department to develop an in-house V8 as soon as possible. The engineering department hired David Potter, a former Kaiser Motors engineer, to come in and help develop the engine. Potter had previously worked on a V8 design for Kaiser, and had the experience necessary to take the engine from drawing board to full production in just under 18 months, an extraordinary engineering feat at the time -- slide rules were the norm because there were no computers.

All these engines share common external dimensions, weight - about 601 lb (273 kg) - forged crankshaft and rods, as well as most other parts. The stroke for all GEN-1 V8 is 3.25 inches. Engine displacement The 250 cu in (4.1 L) has a 3.50-inch bore, 287 cu in (4.7 L) 3.75-inch, and the 327 cu in (5.4 L) a 4.0-inch bore. Bore size is cast on the top of the block near the back of the right bank cylinder head. This is difficult to see with the engine installed in a Rambler due to the close proximity of the heater. It can be done with a small inspection mirror. Like most V8 engine designs of the 1950s, the block features a deep skirt where the casting extends below the crankshaft centerline, forming a very rigid crankcase gallery. The oiling scheme is similar to the Chevrolet Small-Block engine for feeding oil to the cam and crankshaft first, then to the lifter galleries.

[edit] 250
                  AMC's first V-8, the 250, was used in American Motors Corporation automobiles from 1956 through 1961. As the name implies, it had 250 CID (4.1 L) of displacement and was a modern (for the time) OHV/pushrod engine design and made its debut in the Nash Ambassador and Hudson Hornet "Specials" of 1956. These cars had the top of the line model trim, but were built on the shorter wheelbase (Statesman and Wasp) models (hence the "Special" name). The 250 used solid lifters and came in two and four barrel carburetor varieties (4V only in Nash/Hudson "Specials").

The 250 V8 was optional in the 1957 Rambler. All 1958-60 V8 Ramblers were called "Rebel" and designated as a different series. However, it is easy to confuse the 1957 Rambler V8 and the 1958-60 Rebel line with the special 1957 Rambler Rebel, a limited edition muscle car (see 327 below). In 1961, The Rambler Six was renamed the Rambler Classic to avoid model confusion in the Rambler line-up. A V8 engine then became an option in the Classic instead of a separate model.

[edit] 287
                  In mid model year 1963, AMC introduced a 287 CID (4.7 L) V8. When the 250 was dropped in 1961, there was no V8 option for Rambler models other than the top of the line Ambassador, which was only available with the 327. Dealers complained, so the 287 was introduced as an option for the "mid size" Rambler. Like the 327, it used hydraulic valve lifters. Only 2V models were produced, there were no 4V options from the factory for the 287 as this was the economy model V8. The 287 was produced through 1966.

[edit] 327

Engine bay of a 1963 AMC Ambassador with a 327 V8 4-barrelThe AMC 327 was similar to the 287, but displaced 327 cubic inches (5.4 L) due to the bore increase to 4.0 inches. Unlike the 250, the 327 came with hydraulic valve lifters.

The EFI 327 was rated at 288 hp (215 kW), and the production 4V carbureted model at 255 hp (190 kW). All the EFI cars were reportedly converted to 4V carb before being sold; none are known to have existed outside the engineering departmen
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Some of you may recall that this was all caused by a Plant burning down!

If my memory serves, it was the GM Hydramatic Plant that supplied Nash & Hudson with Automatic Transmissions. So to get the Ultramatic Transmissions, they had to buy Packard's complete Engine/Trans. setup. [:0]

StudeRich
                    IIRC, it was 1954 model year GM cars that used Dynaflows in place of HydraMatics due to the Hydramatic plant fire. That problem was solved before the time period that we are discussing for AMC. It was probably about 1962 when I last drove a Cadillac with Dynaflow, so my memory may be hazy. I guess someone could research it if they want to verify or disprove my memory. I don't store as much of that stuff in my brain cells as Studebaker stuff.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                    X