Handling problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling problem.

I received the following E-mail from a friend.
    I think he is working on a 53 hard top.
    He is not too handy with a computer, so I ask as he requests.
    Paul

"could you ask that SDC forum about weak rear springs/shocks, and what that type of handling that might cause"

It will make it bottom out when you go over a big bump or into a dip. Cornering will suffer a little bit, but with that tiny front sway bar, you can't expect too much anyway. Hey, the added benefit is increased high speed stability from more positive caster, ha. But of course, extraa positive caster causes difficult steering. But if the springs and shocks are shot, imagine what the trunnions and kingpins must be like.

Comment

Ahh...Buddy, although SOME of your answer could be true, I think he is talking about REAR springs and shocks!

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Straight line handling will suffer if the rear tires have the same inflation pressure as the front. They are supposed to be 2 or 3 lbs less. The car gets squirly, the rear end wants to run along side the front with equal pressure. As far as springs and shocks, weak rear springs won't do much but let the back end sag, the shocks will affect after-bounce and will permit excessive sway.

[Edit] Being cheap shouldn't enter into safety (suspension) discussions.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Haha, I know studerich, and the lower the rear goes the more positive caster you get. I'm speaking from experience because my 62 Gt has the same problem--weak rear springs and shocks--taht make for a mushy ride and bottomming out. I'm getting ready to cut up another pair of leaf springs just for the longer ones to stack mine up a bit for more stability.

Comment

Weaker rear springs(and possibly shocks) would probably increase understeer all else being equal, but effect may be(to some degree) negated by negative camber gain on outside wheel due to the above mentioned positve caster increase.

Comment

"Coon Hunting"
              Your headlights will blind oncoming drivers and they will leave their brights on and you could go over a cliff and crash in a horrific fireball and on the way down you would be thinking about those rear springs...
              (Was reading Stephen King last night)
              Jeff[8D]

quote:"could you ask that SDC forum about weak rear springs/shocks, and what that type of handling that might cause"
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Shock absorbers are only supposed to stop the oscillation of the suspension components caused by the spring compression and rebound.
                Weak springs will allow more body and suspension movement, putting more stress (cycles) on the shocks, heating the oil and making them less effective, not to mention wearing them out faster.
                Extra stress is going to be applied to the differential pinion and tailshaft yoke as the joint angle will be more to one end of the operating range.
                U-joint wear will increase as trunion bearing oscillation will be greater due to increased yoke to shaft angle.
                Steering will be affected as alignment will have changed a little.
                With springs available, and spring shops all over the place, there really isn't any good reason to drive it like that....
                (even CASO reasons)...
                Jeff[8D]

quote:[i]

"could you ask that SDC forum about weak rear springs/shocks, and what that type of handling that might cause"

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Instead of tearing apart spring bundles to build up a leaf I have used the full spring overloads that JC Whitney sells. I just took apart the stack under the car and inserted the overloads in the appropriate place and then put the rest of the leaves on. I did have to bore a hole through the center of the add a leafs and get new center bolts but it worked fine.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  61 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  63 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  45 Agricat
                  67 Triumph T100
                  66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I used one leaf out of a Ford explorer. They are the right width and real thick. You will need to get the spring pack clips off the explorer too because your old ones will not fit around the extra leaf. It's easy and cheap so just do it. Lots of options.

Comment

Working...
                    X