Avanti II - Restorable or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II - Restorable or not?

Just for curiosity sake I would like to know if anyone thinks this car has any real value. Are their any frames out there that could be bought. I'm not familiar with Avantis at all, but this has been on Craigslist for a while and might be able to deal.

Doug

Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion 9G F1

Personally, I would be leary of buying something that is dissassembled like this. However, it may be worth $2500 just for parts if nothing else.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Like JDP has said, "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti" (or words to that effect).

Chris Pile
      Editor: The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Of course the car is restorable...the question is if it's economically restorable. Yes, frames are available...maybe not today, but you can find one without too much problem most likely. Once you have that, you'll also most likely need new hog troughs...another expense.

So the car is loaded with options...all will need a complete overhaul or replacement (or deletion). Basically you have a parts car and little else.

If you want to save the car and find a good frame...have at it. I saved my '70, though not as bad as that car is. I bought it long distance, which I've done many times before, and this was the first time I bought a car that way where the seller misrepresented it. OK...I could have simply parted the car out and even come out ahead economically, but I decided to save the car and rebuild it my way. Was it cost effective? No...but I have no desire to sell the car. It's a great car, but I'm not blind to the fact I have more invested in it than makes common sense.

I love Avanti's and want to see as many saved as possible...but I also know to do that we need donor cars for many parts. To be completely honest...that Craigslist car should be treated as a donor car used to keep others on the road.

If you want to save the car...be my guest and be proud of the results. Just don't go into it blindly. If you want to buy the hulk and part it out, then negotiate a better price. Just because Avanti's are low production, that doesn't necessarily translate into extra value. It's not your job (or anyone's) to bail the guy out if he's buried in the car.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I seem to remember that one on Ebay. There has a frame with it, if I recall.

The body looks pretty solid, and if it needs hog troughs, it's better to have it off the frame.

I guess it'll could cost a lot of money to restore but to put it back on the road, find a Lark frame , save what you can of the interior and replace the rest of it.

Pick engine and tranny of choice and drive the wheels off of it.

JMO

Bob

Comment

Just out of curiousity, has anybody ever put an entire Chevy running gear under an Avanti II (including the frame)? For example, put an Avanti body onto a 1980's Monte Carlo or early 1990's Caprice running gear? Or would this involve too much frame refabrication?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

IMHO, there are more than $2500.00 worth of parts on this car. If there is a frame, seat etc it is well worth the money. Want to save it? Have the time to do a lot oo the work? It is worth restoring. One caviot - Find someone to look at the car and to verify all that is there and all that comes with the car. I have two Avantis already but would not be afraid of this one if all is as stated. It'd be nice to put my drive train of choice in this car along with my choice of a tranny.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Just out of curiousity, has anybody ever put an entire Chevy running gear under an Avanti II (including the frame)? For example, put an Avanti body onto a 1980's Monte Carlo or early 1990's Caprice running gear? Or would this involve too much frame refabrication?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                Yes...that's what was done and the body, trim and much more of little and trim items had to be redesigned and reworked every time Chevy made a change in the chassis or discontinued one chassis and the entire process had to be done again.

Can someone do it? Sure...with enough time, expertise and money...especially money. Avanti Motors did it, but they could spread the costs over the entire production run of cars on that chassis. The lack of a dedicated frame for the Avanti had much to do with its financial failures in the late '80s and the 2000's (Mike Kelly's alleged shenanigans notwithstanding).

It would simply be easier and far less expensive to find and buy an Avanti already in one piece rather than try that.

Comment

The car is less than an hour away from me which is what interested me. It has been on CL for quite a while so the guy may take considerably less with a cash offer. I have seen some II's in TW in recent months that are drivers that are in the $8,000 range. I don't see getting that car back on the road for under that. If you got lucky and found a donor car you might. I think the deciding factor is that if I buy that car it will mean I would have to put off finding my Lark for several years. That's not something I'm willing to do.

Doug

Venice, Florida
                  1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

This car has been on ebay a couple of times. Each time the high bidder backed out. He claims to have a frame with the x member missing. It comes with the engine - condition unknown. Not a particularly performant corvette L48 - only 180hp. Typical of the late 70's. I'd replace it with a new crate engine. You could probably buy an avanti II of this vintage in much better condition for less than it would take to put this one back together. I was interested just for parts, but he wants way too much. Last time I was watching it on e-bay it was over $3,000 and he still wasn't satisfied. If you get it, I will be interested in some parts. I live in Valrico, near Tampa so distance is not a problem.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Judging by the stains on the door panel, it looks as if that window was partially down for a long time. There is a running and driving '84 near me that the owner is asking $6K for, I can check on it if you are interested.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 64studeavanti

This car has been on ebay a couple of times. Each time the high bidder backed out. He claims to have a frame with the x member missing.
                        That sounds like there was a shill bidding the price up hoping for someone to snipe it at the end with a higher bid. Either that...or they had serious buyer's remorse after finding out more of the car or actually seeing it.

1977 was about when Avanti Motors allegedly started using thinner gauge frames and so it would be no surprise there were/are frame problems.

Comment

Since this car has been around and waiting for some one to pick it up and it has not happened, don't get worked up about it just sit back and come up with dollar amount you would like to get it for, then make an offer and forget about it, if it is meant to be yours then it will be yours and if you don't get then it was not meant to be, make the offer something you can live with win or loose, I don't think you will lose if you get it right, the parts will sell in the long run and you will be surprised at what they can bring, I do have a frame from a 64 Daytona and an "X: frame from a wagon, no problem putting them together with frame on the ground, if the car was in California I would work to get it and sell it off in pieces, there was a guy in Fl. that did that a few years back and made a bundle, he cut the rear section off and I got that for a damaged one, good luck...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                          canbstudebakers-
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Just sold this one for double that plus a little so Guido's may be worth a look see for someone who is interested.

sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

There is an '83 and an '87 for sale by two different parties in my Chapter (Eastern North Carolina). If you are interested email me for details.

Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X