57 Silver Hawk glass replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Silver Hawk glass replacement

Any one had a good experience buying glass on-line for Hawks ?
    I have been quoted $758.00 locally for the 2 vents ,2 door windows, and windshield.
    I have a usable rear window and the small coupe rears.
    I would like to find a Studebaker vendor or one that has familiarity with
    57 Hawk coupe.
    Thanks for a steer.
    ...Dick Curtis

1950 Champion Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    Santa Barbara
    CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

The vents and side glass are flat and a local shop should be able to cut them if you have patterns. The total cost seems high to me (but I have not bought any in a while).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If the price includes installation, it's a fair price. Otherwise, not so good.

Bob

Comment

I have seen glass for sale on EBAY.

JC

Comment

Thanks for the help and suggestions. The price I got locally did not include install
            and was based on me removiing all the frames. Sales tax of $54 included in the quote.
            I did get an on line supplier to quote the windshield at $285. Shipping was high but if sent to his warehouse and clear, not tinted glass , comes out at $485. I would need to do a 280 mile round trip. $58 for gas. Guess that's the way to go. I'm surprised that the flat glass is so expensive. Local glass guy told me he gets $110/hour. Guess I should send my grandkids to "Glass School".<G>
            ....Dick
            Santa Barbara
            CA

Comment

I paid for my '53 windshield last spring and it was delivered to me at the South Bend swap... hauled it home in the back seat of Mama's Chrysler.
              Side glass I had cut in town. Most venders deliver free to meets... so if you can wait that long, that is the way to go. Good luck with the gaskets we have available... they don't fit very good!

duane miller

Comment

Dick,
                Is this the car I left the back glass for you in Santa Maria? If the car is "transportable," that glass shop will do it for you in their shop if you have the old door glass and vent glass for patterns. I'm pretty sure they will be cheaper. And they can get the windshield. PM me for more info.

KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Kurt,
                  I emailed you a reply.
                  Thanks,
                  ...Dick
                  Santa Barbara
                  CA

Comment

Working...
                  X