"CASCO" had one at the shop yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "CASCO" had one at the shop yesterday

Since we all use this title a lot now and then I want to share it in this post and it does not mean anything disrespectful toward this person if he is on the forum, but just goes to show wht happens now and then,
    Yesterday I got a call from a person asking about a good trunk lid for a 50 2 door his was rusted at the bottom and he repaired it and it didn't work out so he calls me I told him I had a few but all do need some work since all the real nice one were long gone, he asked how much? I said I need to look at them to give a price but it would be fair and since I have not looked them over in a long time I forgot what I really had he said ok he would be over, I had one at home so I loaded it into the truck it had some rust starting along the bottom on both sides but repairable, when I got to the shop I found one back in the corner that I had forgoton all about and it is rust free with only minor dents, when he shows up I show him both and point out the difference and he said they were both better than what he started with and what is the price I said $200.00 on the rust free one and he said is that firm? I said yes and the other is $100.00 and you fix. He didn't buy either said he didn't want to spend that much but his car is just about ready to paint and left, I just shook my head and went back to work, would you call that a "CASCO"??? or was my price to high??..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
    canbstudebakers-
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

There is value in everything. Apparently you were too high to satisfy his definition of value. I can think of lots of parts that have cost me over $200.

To me $200 for a rust free trunk lid seems like a good, fair price. OTOH, I don't need a trunk lid, so I wouldn't pay $25 for it.

Back in the day, I remember someone asking me why a brake rotor I was selling was more costly than one down the street. When I asked why the guy didn't get one from the other store, he said they didn't have any in stock.

And I responded that when I don't have them in stock, they cost less too.

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

Comment

Bob, what does CASCO stand for anyway?? Can't Always Stand Chevy Owners?? I've seen that before and always wondered.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Since we all use this title a lot now and then I want to share it in this post and it does not mean anything disrespectful toward this person if he is on the forum, but just goes to show wht happens now and then,
        Yesterday I got a call from a person asking about a good trunk lid for a 50 2 door his was rusted at the bottom and he repaired it and it didn't work out so he calls me I told him I had a few but all do need some work since all the real nice one were long gone, he asked how much? I said I need to look at them to give a price but it would be fair and since I have not looked them over in a long time I forgot what I really had he said ok he would be over, I had one at home so I loaded it into the truck it had some rust starting along the bottom on both sides but repairable, when I got to the shop I found one back in the corner that I had forgoton all about and it is rust free with only minor dents, when he shows up I show him both and point out the difference and he said they were both better than what he started with and what is the price I said $200.00 on the rust free one and he said is that firm? I said yes and the other is $100.00 and you fix. He didn't buy either said he didn't want to spend that much but his car is just about ready to paint and left, I just shook my head and went back to work, would you call that a "CASCO"??? or was my price to high??..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-
        My favorite CASCO story is worth retelling. About 20 years ago, I had a NOS 31 President "Godess" radiator ornament on my table at Reedsville for $350. A man and his wife came by that had been looking for a nice one for many years. He balked at the price and I told him I'd drop it if it did not sell by Sunday since I was guessing at the value.
        He walked away, mumbling about greedy vendors. A few minutes later, a vendor well known for having rare parts at high prices peeled off the $350, grabbed the part and walked off. A few minutes later, the first guy came back and said he was not happy, but would pay the $350. I told him it was sold, and pointed out the new owner. It was now a $700 part and he passed yet again. The vendor that bought it told me he's came back later ready to offer $600, but he's sold it for the asking price earlier.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Bob, what does CASCO stand for anyway?? Can't Always Stand Chevy Owners?? I've seen that before and always wondered.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Bob. CASCO. Is the oldest Martial Art School in Oakland CA.

Mark Dacasco. (Dancing With the Stars) Started his Capoeira training
          with Bill Owens.

Comment

Zone meet a few years back I had a NOS '51 Regal
            horn button in the box.Walked the show and there
            was drop dead gorgeous '51 with the exception of
            a crappy horn button.I approached the aged owner
            and showed him the horn button and he said he had
            been looking for a better one for years.I offered it
            to him for $75 and he got upset and said I was wayyyy
            over value on price.I thanked him and retreated
            putting the box away for the rest of the weekend.
            I thought about sending him the ebay sale numbers
            but was afraid he would keel over.
            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

CASCO - Cheap A** Studebaker Car Owner. A bit more definitive than CASO.

Bob, your prices were fine. I had a fella here locally - I'm not worried that he's on the forums - who excitedly contacted me about needing a drivers door window regulator for his '63 Lark 4-door. I say "excitedly" because he really was that way about finding someone who could actually talk Studebakers and parts thereof.

Heh - he told me all about his car and how cool it was and how much he loves it. Then in the next breath, did I know anyone who might buy it for $4300???[B)]

"ONLY thing it needed to be "perfect" was a working window regulator. Was there any chance I had one?

I said: "Yeah, I've got one that's like new. Fifty bucks." and I explained that new ones were no longer out there and that refurbishing one that was shot was a good bit more than that.

"FIFTY BUCKS?" I could here the disbelief in his voice. Needless to say, I still have that regulator.

It's amazing to me, the lack of value that some folks perceive these parts to have. Unless it's some supercharger piece or unobtanium chrome part, prices in the 3-digit realm are viewed with contempt.
              I've given away some parts lately, MAybe because I liked the recipient, but also because it's easier for me to reconcile with that than to argue whether that piece I bought and stored 15 years ago is worth anything given the effort involved to keep it from the elements and away from the scrap smelters.
              One guy wanted a power steering setup, but balked when I refused to stand behind the 40-year old used stuff with a cash back warranty! You know - let 'em find it someplace else. It's not like I'm starving here.[}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

In fairness, some collectors spend way more for a part than I would have guessed. The NOS Packard Hawk fin Mylar I offered here for $200 that later sold on ebay for $1100 comes to mind, or thousand dollar AM/FM's.

JDP/Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Like I said - the unobtainium stuff can go nuts. Think about the 57-58 Packard wagon taglite emblems for $800 bucks.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I am sure over the years I have overpaied for some parts I have bought.However I have always had the attitude that if I need it and its right there before me, if I have the cash asked it's going home with me to go on the car I am working on.If I think the part is going to make the car more safe to drive or look better in a show and you have it and I don't my money will be replaced somewhere down the line but I may NEVER see that part in that shape again.
                    Just my 2 cents worth,I am sure some will disagree,but I will be the one with the NOS part on my car

Comment

About fifteen years ago, I had a table at a local swap meet to get rid of my extra stuff, 99% of it non-Studebaker. Amongst the stuff I had for sale were some multiple copies of car brochures from the 1970's; not exactly 'rare', but not seen everyday either. I had to opposite happen to me with those!! Some of the literature vendors came around and asked me to RAISE my prices on them! I told them, either buy a lot-shipment from me, or make me a 2-for-1 trade, which I did. One did buy a lot of twenty, and the other made the fair 2-for-1 trade.

Craig

Comment

Bob, It sound like the same guy who called me up yesterday. His area phone code was 650. He called me up and stated the same thing that you told. This guy was not asking for a 1950 deck lid, but was looking for a 1951 sedan deck lid. I told him that I had a rust free deck lid. I have not discussed price as of yet. This got to be the same guy. Bob, as you know, 1950 deck lids are diff. than the 1951.

Comment

Bob

Prices seem fair to me. Your CASCO was about to spend more than that to fix 'em and I'll bet the cost to fix a couple of small dents would be less than the $100 difference than the cost of the rusty one.

I hope he doesn't buy a 53/54 C/K that needs new fenders, grill surrounds and Hood.

Just write him off as a CASCO, as you have stated.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Like I said - the unobtainium stuff can go nuts. Think about the 57-58 Packard wagon taglite emblems for $800 bucks.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door
                            What kind of idiot would spend that much money on one?
                            Actually, the '58 on eBay last year went for over $1100, IIRC.
                            The one for my '57 wasn't cheap, but it sure wasn't that much.

Chip
                            '63 Cruiser daily driver
                            '57 Packard wagon on the road!
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

one thing I learned about trying to be a casco is that it just ends up costing more in the end. I spent countless hours on the internet and time in parts interchange books trying to keep from ordering two axle seals from SI. However after having no luck I conceded to just order it from them. Now if my car had a dana 44 that would be a different story.

Comment

Working...
                              X