56 Transtar truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Transtar truck

My youngest son has just acquired a 1956 Studebaker Transtar pickup, V8 3/4 ton we think. It appears to be completely original in every way and runs great. It has been damaged on the right front fender, but other wise is in great shape. We just are not sure what to do with it! I am a classic car freak, only I run along the lines of classic mopar muscle cars (74 cuda is my baby). The Stude is a completely new beast for me. We have gotten a clear Texas bonded title for it and antique plates so it is even legal to drive.

At first Devon wanted to try to restore and keep it, now he is thinking about selling it to help pay for college and to pay off his car. I don't even have any idea what it might be worth or what it would take to find parts to fix the fender and it looks like the right front spindle is also bent somewhat from where it was hit. Right now he is driving it around our back pasture pulling up mesquite stumps of which we have FAR too many. So, any suggestions?

Sell it for what you paid for it. You may recoup your investment. We are all friends here so good luck. Hopefully it will find a good home. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

If you can post a few pictures here, you'll get some opinions on its value and possible courses of action. You'll also get some questions about possible rust in the floors, the edges of the front fenders, and the back corners of the cab. Look on the driver's side seat riser and give us the model number or first few characters of the serial number. It should be something like E12 or 2E7.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I have just the truck that would fit your house hold then it is a 53 Studebaker 1/2 ton short bed and is powered by a 53 Dodge Red Ram hemi with 3 speed, just a thought, also a older guy came to my shop yesterday and needs to sell one of his cars to pay Doc. bills it is a 64 Dodge Polara 2 door hardtop nice shape needs paint new interior to original all brakes and front end work done along with what ever else it needed under side oh ya it is powered by a500 ci. max wedge 440 with duel 4's ect. less that 500 miles on rebuild said he has over $10,000.00 in engine and trans, wants $11,500.00 for the car any one interested????if so let me know I can get pictures...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Must be this one that was just on eBay.

1957 Golden Hawk
          "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
          sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

That 8 track tape player should add a lot to the value....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

If that is it it looks like a good start for a nice truck. I would suggest relisting it with a $1.00 start to establish a value on it. You can still set your reserve wherever you want. Steve

sigpic

Comment

According to the ebay ad it is E12 2398, an E12 3/4 Ton V-8, and the right front fender is crushed, must be it, looks good otherwise! [^]

Spindles are forged Steel, so my guess is something else is bent or mislocated (axle?), as it would have broken if hit hard enough. [:0]

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

that's the truck. doesn't seem to be much in the way of serious rust, just surface as far as I can tell. bed and tailgate are in good shape, rear bumper is here just been cut off for some strange reason before we got it. I will add some pictures here as soon as I can figure out how! we even have a couple of videos of it running and him driving it if anybody ever wanted to see them and, once again, if I can figure out how to load them on here.

Comment

Well, if this fellow's son paid over six grand for that truck he got taken to the cleaners. I very seriously doubt this truck will sell for more than two or possibly three grand. If the fender wasn't crushed and the front axle possibly buggered, maybe three grand. As it is, the truck needs a lot of work and the sales price will reflect that.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Can't knock a guy for trying to pay for college by selling his pride and joy. May be worth enough to pay for books and first months rent and partying. jimmijim[8D]

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                      X