? about 63 gran turismo anttena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about 63 gran turismo anttena

does anybody know where the antenna for the 63 gran trusimo hawk goes?
    does it go on the left front fender or does it get centered on the trunk? thnks in advance.

ds

Depends on what antenna you have. Left front fender and if you have a angled on it goes on the trunk lid. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Left front fender only, in 63. Be careful, the fender is double walled in that location, and you'll need the factory antenna, or know the trick to install a aftermarket.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Do you have an original Studebaker antenna or an aftermarket type? Straight antennas mount to the left front, as mentioned, but angled antennas were available that mount to the front center of the trunk. I can post a pic of my front mount antenna in my 63 Hawk if you like.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        MN iron ore...it does your body good.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Just a thought, but is this a show car or a driver? If authenticity is not an issue, I'd go with the trunk mount, or make that hole on the single wall portion of the cowl instead of thru the fender.

I'm always hesitant to drill thru that double wall section of the front fender because it just creates another spot for water to enter and aggrivate the usual front fender rust.

Thats what I did when I put NOS fenders on my '64 Cruiser in 1980. I flooded their rear seams with primer, worked the seams full of tar roofing patch with a caulking gun, smoothed it out, and primed again.

Those fenders now have 29 years in the midwest and over 100,000 miles and still no rear seam rust. Also, no one has ever noticed or questioned the cowl antenna placement.

Comment

If you currently don't have ANY antenna holes in the car, I'd use a hidden antenna like this...

I have used them twice and they work fine.

(any car that looks good WITH an antenna...looks better without one)

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Does anyone here have experience with this hidden antenna? Does it have reception comparable to the mast antenna? If it does, I would be interested in trying one.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
              MN iron ore...it does your body good.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

As good if not better. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Does anyone here have experience with this hidden antenna? Does it have reception comparable to the mast antenna? If it does, I would be interested in trying one.
                  Great on FM...so so on AM.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

That hidden antenna sounds like the way to go.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Left front fender only, in 63. Be careful, the fender is double walled in that location, and you'll need the factory antenna, or know the trick to install a aftermarket.

JDP/Maryland
                      The 1964 Body Parts Catalog shows AC-2886 (rear deck antenna)applies to C-Ks of all years. Was this a dealer installed item? My 63 GT has it, only because I put there myself over 20 years ago. Russ Farris
                      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

The 1964 Body Parts Catalog shows AC-2886 (rear deck antenna)applies to C-Ks of all years. Was this a dealer installed item? My 63 GT has it, only because I put there myself over 20 years ago. Russ Farris
                        That would be correct, they were an Accessory on Studebaker Sedans since 1958, and were extensively used on Hawks since 1962 and could have been sold as an accessory to ANY Stude.! [:0]

The left front fender mounted antennas (that go through the fender AND cowl into the door post), were available in manual or internal control, crank up style since at least 1947, ALL are optional, NONE are Standard equipment, just as the Radios were.

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X