New to the site & I have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the site & I have questions

Hello all, I'm new to the site and new to Studebakers. I have always loved the Hawk body style and I finally found a project car I could afford. Car was delivered last night and I am sure I will have a ton of questions before I get through this. I've done some restoration and paint/body work before but never on a Studebaker.

The first question I have is, what is the best way to determine what I have. The car is titled as a 61 and the vin tag comfirms it is a 61, but it has silver hawk badges and moulding. From what I have read in 61 it was just called an Hawk. So I don't know what has happened here.

My goal is to build a very nice driver that I can enjoy, not a trailered show car. I just want to know what I really have so I buy the right parts when the time comes.

Thanks in advance to all the folks that take the time to share their knowledge.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

quote:Originally posted by wdills

Hello all, I'm new to the site and new to Studebakers. I have always loved the Hawk body style and I finally found a project car I could afford. Car was delivered last night and I am sure I will have a ton of questions before I get through this. I've done some restoration and paint/body work before but never on a Studebaker.

The first question I have is, what is the best way to determine what I have. The car is titled as a 61 and the vin tag comfirms it is a 61, but it has silver hawk badges and moulding. From what I have read in 61 it was just called an Hawk. So I don't know what has happened here.

My goal is to build a very nice driver that I can enjoy, not a trailered show car. I just want to know what I really have so I buy the right parts when the time comes.

Pictures? They really are worth a thousand words. In the meantime, your serial numnber as well as the body tag on the firewall near the RH hood hinge will tell us a lot.

Craig

Comment

As already said pics would be great. It is very possible your car has been rebodied during its life using a silver hawk parts car. Fenders,quarters,doors etc.. all interchange. Steve

sigpic

Comment

Welcome! You will find some great people here. Hope to see some pics soon.

Studebaker classifieds! www.studeswap.com

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

If you have not already done so, you really need to join the SDC. Only $19.95 the first year and getting the Turning Wheels magazine each month is a priceless resource to restoring and enjoying your Hawk. You can even join online:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/joinsdc.asp

A listing of Studebaker Vendors is also available at:

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Enjoy! [8D]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island Chapter
          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

It probably is a silver hawk if it has the badges, I could be wrong not seeing any pics, but probably a silver hawk. Also, Studebaker never really made a car that was just a "Hawk", it was always "____ Hawk". Ones like: Golden Hawk, Silver Hawk, Power Hawk, GT Hawk, Etc. Somebody posted a thread about this a few days ago, check it out! By the way, welcome to the forum!

Chris Dresbach
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

You are being led astray. Studebaker DEFINITELY built models called
              ONLY "Hawk".
              If it's really a 61 then it is a HAWK.
              Post the serial and body numbers and people will help you to establish exactly what it is.

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

Originally posted by wdills

It probably is a silver hawk if it has the badges, I could be wrong not seeing any pics, but probably a silver hawk. Also, Studebaker never really made a car that was just a "Hawk", it was always "____ Hawk". Ones like: Golden Hawk, Silver Hawk, Power Hawk, GT Hawk, Etc. Somebody posted a thread about this a few days ago, check it out! By the way, welcome to the forum!

Chris Dresbach
                WRONG !......1960 and 1961 both were "just Hawk" !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC
                1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC

Comment

wdills,

1961 "Hawk" Should look something like this

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC
                  1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC

Comment

Exactly, but without being lowered in the rear! [)] [)]

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

hmm, lowered rear, raised front, parked on a rock??????

Kewl.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Now I want a rare Only Hawk, or its cousin the Just Hawk.

Comment

Found the numbers. The S/N is 61V-20890. The body tag number under the hood is 61V-Cb 2209. I assume the since both numbers start with 61, the car is actually a 61 model and somebody added silver hawk badges.

My moulding is also different, I have a single piece along the bottom of the fin and nothing on top. It is definitly not like the picture shown.

Any places out there where I could buy the correct side mouldings for the car?
                          Wayne
                          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

From the information that I have - your car is a 1961 Hawk with the 289 Cubic Inch V8 engine - have fun with it.

John Clements
                            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                            Lockleys South Australia
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Any places out there where I could buy the correct side mouldings for the car?
                              To answer your question, no unfortunately there is no place that would have those rare '61 only lower fin mouldings new, and there is not sufficient demand for reproductions to be made.

They can occasionally be found in USED condition from parts cars at SDC swap meets, but are quite hard to find in good condition.

Someone most likely replaced the fins with some 1959 ones that they were able to find, complete with all of the mouldings and nameplates.

Also, your body tag reads 61V-C6 that is the correct body type for a '61 Hawk, it is trim level "6" the only one available. Studebaker used straight 6's that look similar to a "b".

StudeRich
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X