Details Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details Details

Drove my wagon today for a couple hours. Went and seen some people I regard as freinds and experts in old cars. Mostly overall positive feedback. BUT both at different times pointed to my pitted/bad looking bolt heads and washers on the hood latch and front grill cover that the hood latch bolts to. These are bolts with a screw type thread and a 4 leaft clover looking washer. Anyone know where I can get some replacements?? If not I am going to try to find some sort of SS type to replace them. Thanks.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas

Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Why not just wirebrush the old paint/corrosion off and repaint them with rustoleum dark silver paint from Home Depot? It kinda looks Zinc coated.

Comment

I tried that, they are so pitted that they look bad and the washers are cracked on all of them.

Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I'm sure I have some of those, You're talking about a square-profile thread, almost like the lead screw on a lathe, right?

A standard machine screw thread of the same size will "probably" engage those J-nuts if they are still good, but a self-tapping sheet metal screw thread almost certainly will.

New cad-plated screws and some cad-plated flat washer will do the job, and will look "nice" if not 100% authentic.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

RIP SASCO.

Dennis had bins of those things and sold them by the pound.

Skip Lackie
          Washington DC
          Skip Lackie

Comment

try you local Studebaker parts supplier: Barry at CCS right on N side of Houston. :-)

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Working...
            X