Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '52 Hood Ornament

Hi All,
    I am installing the hood ornament on my '52 Champion & was curious if the ornament needs some sort of gasket? The car never had one so I also have to drill some holes. Anyone have any tips on marking & drilling the holes for the correct position? The 2 stage paint is about a year old & would hate to make a mistake.

Thank's,
    Steve

Steve,
    I have my 52 hood out in the garage stored away but tomorrow I can take some measurements for the holes if you like.
    I dont recall any gasket but I will check my box of 52 parts for one.
    It will be after 3:00 but I'll get back to you.

Dean Pearson.

Comment

I made a gasket for my 51. The chrome wasn't real smooth. I took a clear 2 liter pop bottle cut the ends off and with my wife's iron and a towel smoothed it out cut the holes for the screws and trim to the bottom of the hood ornament. I done my door handles the same way.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Thank's for the help & suggestions:
        Dave: The measurement from the center rear of your hood to the rear of the hood ornament would be very helpful! I have the distance between the mounting holes from the ornament underside. With your measurement, I can place the ornament accuratly on the hood & just transfer the mounting holes. Also if you find that your ornament did use a gasket, I can always make one as ST2DE5 suggested.
        Thank's Again!

ST2DE5: That's a great idea. Like you stated, my chrome does have some tiny imperfections at the base & I would hate to tighten the mounting screws only to find impressions in the paint. Now to convince the Mrs. to lend me the iron.
        Thank's Again!

Comment

My 52 did not have a gasket. The paint did have a good imprint of where it had been for years.

1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Steve,
            First my name is Dean.
            Second, Sorry but I got home late today but first thing in the morning I will check it out. My hood ornament is off the hood so I will have to give you rear of hood to first hole.
            Either way when I post it if you need to call me we can get any other info you need.

Dean. (760) 802-6460

Comment

Dean: So sorry Dean!! My mistake.
              The rear of hood to center of rear hole measurement would be perfect. I could then just drill my 1st hole & be half way there!

Thank's For The Info

52-Fan: I was thinking the hood ornament might make some kind of markings in the paint. I'll play it safe & make one.
              Thank's

Comment

Ok Steve,
                I have 21-3/16" from the center of the hole to the rear of the hood in the "v".
                Measured that with a tape that is 3/8" wide so if you have a real man tape that has a 1" blade it will make a slight difference.
                If you have any other questions let me know.
                Good luck,
                Dean.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dean pearson

Ok Steve,
                  I have 21-3/16" from the center of the hole to the rear of the hood in the "v".
                  Measured that with a tape that is 3/8" wide so if you have a real man tape that has a 1" blade it will make a slight difference.
                  If you have any other questions let me know.
                  Good luck,
                  Dean.
                  Thank's Dean!! The marks for the holes are already on the Champion. Your measurement gave me the perfect starting point that I needed. I checked my tape & it is also 3/8" wide. Thank's again for taking the time to get me those numbers!
                  Now to make my gasket as per ST2DE5's coke bottle idea.
                  Steve

Comment

Good deal Steve,
                    Hopefully when your done you can post a pic.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                    X