I'm bit nervous because ... UPDATE I'M DONE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm bit nervous because ... UPDATE I'M DONE

tomorrow I will be gluing my 64 Lark dash pad onto the metal frame. The frame is painted and ready to go. The pad is clean and standing by.

I trial fit the pad and there are so many things that need lined up I am concerned. The pad needs centered around the gage cluster opening, it needs aligned with the speaker cutout and bolt holes, and the glove box width/opening needs to be spread for the door to fit.

I am nervous because it will take me a bit time to make sure all of this is positioned correctly before the glue dries. I am going to use 3M Spray Glue Adhesive and it will be 70-75 degrees tomorrow.

Do I have much time to work before the glue sets (the can says 30 seconds to 20 minutes)? That 30 seconds number scares the heck out of me.

Lastly, any tips from those who have done this before. I get one shot at it so I hope I get it right.

Thanks, Jeff

Once you spray both pieces, you have between 30 seconds and 20 minutes to press them together...that's the window. Once you press them together, you are done...no changing things.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I would use an adhesive that dries slowly. Maybe liquid nails? There should not be a need to use all that much either.

Comment

You will have a period of time when they will stick but you have no time to adjust. That adhesive has no ability to move after the parts contact. When they touch, they stick, just like contact cement.

I don't have a suggestion on what else to use but I'd be leery of construction adhesives. A lot of aggressive solvents that could swell the plastics.

I'd wait until and experienced forum member chimes in with their experience/recommendation.

JMHO

Bob

Comment

My experience with 3M has been poor. Tried to use it to glue on a headliner and it fell down a day later. also tried to use it for vinyl body side trim, fell off too. I prefer the spray adhesive made by Wurth. It's the only spray adhesive I've found that will hold a Mercedes hood pad on. They are heavy, and the 3M won't do the job on those pads. Just my 02 cents worth.

Al Reed
          North Bay Area, CA
          1961 Lark Regal Skytop
          1953 Commander Starlight

sigpicAl Reed
          North Bay Area, CA
          1961 Lark Regal Skytop
          1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

Thanks for the good comments so far. Please keep them coming.

I am taking off work tomorrow specifically for this project so I hope to firm up my plans. Jeff

Comment

I fabricated a console, Covered it with vinyl. I used many small clamps and slow set glue. Got it all stretched into position, clamped it as I went, then took off a couple of clamps, glued and put the clamps back on. Did this at my speed all over the console. The next day I took the clamps off and it was done. Contact cement would have been torture.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              ....On the road, again....
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Tom, do you have more specifics on the actual slow set glue you used? Manufacturer name, etc?

Comment

Be careful with Liquid Nail. It is thick, and you don't want it clumping and forming lumps under your cover. Maybe a rubber cement might work. You will get some slide out of that stuff.

Comment

Perhaps a urethane adhesive, like that used for windshields. Its flexible, strong, and doesnt cure on contact.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

From the Corvette forum:

Comment

Additional:

C1 & C2 Corvettes - New Dash Pad Installation - Gearing up to install a new Dash Pad on a '60. What type of adhesive would you recommend? I have the windshield off, looks straight forward.... Any tricks I should know ahead of time? :bigears

Comment

Elmer's wood working adhesive, what I had on hand.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                          Tom Bredehoft
                          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                          ....On the road, again....
                          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                          All Indiana built cars

Comment

One Corvette posting says:
                            "All should be acomplished out of earshot of children or those easily offended."
                            Thats funny right there, I don't care who you is!

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                            MN iron ore...it does your body good.
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Gorilla glue?
                              Ducttape?[] LOL

Chris Dresbach
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X