Clear All

• Miscellaneous Purchases

Perusing craig's at the end of my day and up pops:

1952 Studebaker truck parts - $50

Rear end/ differential+axle
    Brake drum
    Front tie rod
    Two wheels
    Tranny (3 on the tree plus overdrive gear-Studebaker patent)
    Leaf springs

So I bought 'em. The above included the Auto Serv Kleenex Dispenser mentioned in an earlier post, which should get me my $50 back. As for the above, the tranny is a T85C-1A. A Warner Overdrive. Can anybody fill me in on this? Is it common? Usable for my 50 2R10 with a good, but geared low, 4 speed on the floor. Is this something I could use to make my truck more highway driveable? Haven't checked the read end out yet.

50 2R10
    Colorado

That T-85 is what was used behind V8s in trucks. I doubt it would "bolt up" even if you did have the proper bellhousing to go with it. Yes, overdrive will make your truck much more "roadable" than a straight 3 or 4-speed.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That T-85 is what was used behind V8s in trucks. I doubt it would "bolt up" even if you did have the proper bellhousing to go with it. Yes, overdrive will make your truck much more "roadable" than a straight 3 or 4-speed.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

50 2R10 - Those are wonderful transmissions. Sort of like a T86 on steroids. Build a lot like the T86 Overdrive transmission except the gears are much stouter. If my memory serves me right, Studebaker also used the T85 in the '56 Golden Hawk and the top of the line 289 equipped station wagon. The car transmission had helical cut gears and a higher low gear than the truck version. The truck versions of the T85 and T86 have straight cut gears (maybe just low and 2nd, I forget). Some other auto manufacturers of that era also used the T85. My brother replaced the T86 Overdrive tranny in his '64 Hawk with a T85 Overdrive unit. He was repeatedly tearing up the T86s. The T85 held up under his lead foot. He found another unit in the junk yard from a Mercury (I think) and kept the innards for parts. I have never found the T85 to be very common, at least where I've been living. Mostly, all I see are T86s. In my opinion, you scored well on that one, even if you can't use it and decide to sell it. Dale

Comment

50 2R10 - Those are wonderful transmissions. Sort of like a T86 on steroids. Build a lot like the T86 Overdrive transmission except the gears are much stouter. If my memory serves me right, Studebaker also used the T85 in the '56 Golden Hawk and the top of the line 289 equipped station wagon. The car transmission had helical cut gears and a higher low gear than the truck version. The truck versions of the T85 and T86 have straight cut gears (maybe just low and 2nd, I forget). Some other auto manufacturers of that era also used the T85. My brother replaced the T86 Overdrive tranny in his '64 Hawk with a T85 Overdrive unit. He was repeatedly tearing up the T86s. The T85 held up under his lead foot. He found another unit in the junk yard from a Mercury (I think) and kept the innards for parts. I have never found the T85 to be very common, at least where I've been living. Mostly, all I see are T86s. In my opinion, you scored well on that one, even if you can't use it and decide to sell it. Dale

Comment

Only 1st gear is straight cut. Gives you the characteristic whine (groan?) of older cars when you're in 1st. Truly Heavy Duty - with the emphasis on "Heavy"![}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Only 1st gear is straight cut. Gives you the characteristic whine (groan?) of older cars when you're in 1st. Truly Heavy Duty - with the emphasis on "Heavy"![}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Dang, I wish you'd found this a couple months ago, could have used it in my '55 coupe. I would have liked to have had an overdrive but I didn't want to use a T-86 behind a R1 so I went with a T-10 instead. This is probably a fairly desirable trans (in a small, limited circle of Stude nuts) as the only difference between it and a '57 Golden Hawk trans is the gears, IIRC

Actually, if you can tell me it's in good condition I'd still think about buying it from you, although I already did cut the 4-speed shifter hole in the floor of my car

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Dang, I wish you'd found this a couple months ago, could have used it in my '55 coupe. I would have liked to have had an overdrive but I didn't want to use a T-86 behind a R1 so I went with a T-10 instead. This is probably a fairly desirable trans (in a small, limited circle of Stude nuts) as the only difference between it and a '57 Golden Hawk trans is the gears, IIRC

Actually, if you can tell me it's in good condition I'd still think about buying it from you, although I already did cut the 4-speed shifter hole in the floor of my car

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

forgot to mention, AFAIR the T-10 4-speed was very closely based on the T-85 3-speed, to the point that some parts interchange. I've been told that it's even possible to use an OD section from a T-85 on a T-10 for a 4-speed/OD trans, although there are some mods that are necessary to do that.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

forgot to mention, AFAIR the T-10 4-speed was very closely based on the T-85 3-speed, to the point that some parts interchange. I've been told that it's even possible to use an OD section from a T-85 on a T-10 for a 4-speed/OD trans, although there are some mods that are necessary to do that.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                      X