"55 Factory Air Conditioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "55 Factory Air Conditioner?

Now I didn't think Studebaker installed trunk mounted AC units in C-K's-- but this one appears to have it

Any comments about how and why?

Or is that some shade tree innovative thinking?

Just blue-skying here, but... could be a result of South Bend's "we'll build anything as long as you pay us" mentality... or, could have been dealer-installed (more likely).

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Studebaker did offer trunk-mounted, 6-volt air conditioning systems in 1955 for V8-powered sedans only. The March 1955 Service Bulletin (No. 300) describes its installation. It is also mentioned in Confidential Sales Bulletin No. 332 dated January 17, 1955. A Studebaker-Packard Corp. memo from T.A. Zenzinger to all zone sales managers dated April 6, 1955 decries the disparity between the number of a/c equipped cars the various zone managers forecast they would need and how many many had actually been sold. The grand total of 1st and 2nd quarter estimates were 564. The total actually sold was 129. On June 17, 1955 the company announced to their parts managers that they were making air conditioning units available as dealer-installed accessory AC-2732 for 1955, 54, and 53 8-cylinder 2-door and 4-door sedans. The suggested uninstalled list price was $547.00; the uninstalled dealer net price was $442.00 with a factory installation charge of $20.00.

In Studebaker; The Complete Story, by William Cannon and Fred Fox, co-author Fox indicated why trunk-mounted air conditioning units were never available in coupes and hardtops. It wasn't because the compressor wouldn't fit under the hood. It was because the evaporator and other related parts would have taken up too much room in the trunk.

With all of that information in mind, I began my search for just such an a/c unit for our 1954 Commander Starliner, Grace in 2002. It took a couple of months, but we located a '55 President State Sedan with a factory-installed a/c unit. The car, unfortunately, had been sitting sitting out for 20 years, so the body was Swiss cheese, but the a/c unit looked to be serviceable. The condenser even had its original tag attached to it. I eventually sent the Techumseh HH compressor to Classic Auto Air to be restored to operation. Seven hundred-some dollars later (the compressor was junk, but they had a usable core that I could buy), everything was ready to go in. When the time came to install the unit, I dutifully put the mounting bracket and pulleys on the engine of our car and set the compressor in place. When I tried closing the hood, it wouldn't! The ^$&$#%& pulley on the compressor was too big! I couldn't put on a smaller one because that might over-rev the compressor during operation. So the a/c unit sits in my garage.

Now, lest you think you can get a good deal on a '55 a/c set-up from me, consider this. Trunk-mounted units were installed in Hawks. Here are some photos of a 57 Hawk with just such an a/c unit.

Unfortunately, I don't have any photo of the compressor installation. But take a look at an a/c installation in a '53 Commander:

Notice the 6-volt battery. The compressor mounts in the same location as on '55 V8 sedans:

The compressor in the pictured '53 looks like a York compressor, one of which I just so happen to have. And I found that 6 volts is enough to activate the compressor clutch. So since Grace got her AACA Senior award and I won't have her judged again, it might just be time to put that '55 trunk-mounted a/c unit in her. I may, however, use a Sanden rotary compressor to use a bit less of the scant underhood room.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
      Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
      Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
      Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

I do not believe this to be factory air conditioning. It may have been an aftermarket or dealer installed unit when the car was new or near new.
        The car does have the rare optional horizontal grile guard bumper piece.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I'm no expert, but the under dash unit looks more modern than circa 1955.
          BTW: does anyone make new clear plastic tube outlets for the rear? I love the look of those on old cars.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Update, spelling correction.

Comment

Johnny,
              Yours is a Sanden compressor. Be thankful for it. It steals much less HP and probably pumps more volume than the York.

Allen,
              Sanden 508 is the way to go.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Comment

John's pictures appear to me to be a 1957 Golden Hawk.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

1960's Jag Mark 2's use the same generator/pump combo. I just fitted one to a 57 Packard with supercharger. Being RHC it never came with power steering.

1958 Golden Hawk
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 Avanti R2
                    1963 Avanti Salt Racer
                    1952 Starlight
                    1958 Golden Hawk
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 Avanti Salt Racer
                    1963 Avanti R2
                    sigpic

Comment

Here's one I have out of a 62 Cruiser(!):

Never saw one before in a Lark. I'll likely never use it but pulled it since somebody will want it. It's complete with the plastic trumpets for the vents. I'd sell it, just don't want to pack and ship it

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I have one of those generators with the shaft out the back for the PS pump. Worth anything?

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

A 1962 Lark factory A/C unit would be an underdash unit.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                          X