Gas mileage with a 232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas mileage with a 232

I am building a 232 for my 60 wagon and was wondering about gas mileage. The only 232 I know of gets 22 in town and 26 highway. So I'm told! So to get a better sample I thought I would ask here. Any 232's out there? Bob For more info on the 232 and some cars for sale check out http://users.mcsi.net/cascadestudebaker

55pres- Cascade Chapter Oregon

On my trip to Cedar Rapida last summer my 51 Commander 4 door with automatic averaged 17 mpg which included all types of driving.

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

My '53 coupe, with the 232 engine, over drive transmission and 4.54 rear axle, has gotten between 14.3 and 26 mpg. it's averaging 22.3 all around.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

My '53 coupe, with the 232 engine, over drive transmission and 4.54 rear axle, has gotten between 14.3 and 26 mpg. it's averaging 22.3 all around.

I know of a 52 with a 232 but I believe has a 4-10 gears in the rear. And has plenty of power and gets decent gas mileage. 4-54 seams a little low geared.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Overdrive equipped '51-'55 V-8's had 4.54 axles unless special ordered otherwise, a 4.09 would be in a Standard Trans. car, or newer model with the larger 289 engine.

Yes it is too low geared for today's fuel cost, but was not a problem at 24.9 cents a gallon! []

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Our '54 Commander Starliner with an automatic transmission and a 3.54 rear gets 20 mpg on the highway

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
            Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
            Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
            Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

I just received my June 1954 issue of Popular Science today
              Over 28 mpg with a 3 spd. w/OD and over 24.5 with automatic in the 1954 Land Cruisers with V8, which included 24 miles of driving with tire chains installed!

Brent's rootbeer racer.
              MN iron ore...it does your body good.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Keep in mind that those economy runs are not driven in a manner that a normal driver drives.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree, not everyone drives 24 miles with tire chains.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                  sigpic

Comment

The set up I plan on using is a 232 with 3 speed/OD and a 3.54 rear end. A friend of mine has a 52 hard top with that combo and it is good around town and great on the freeway. He can pull the big hills without going into overdrive and it got great gas mileage. I also have a 3.73 that I might try. I was wondering what combo's have been tried and what works best. Bob

Comment

Well it could be a little hard on clutches and everytime you come to an anthill in Overdrive, you may need to downshift. But I guess it is all about just how much PERFORMANCE you expect to get out of it! [^]

I know I would be happier with the 3.73, with only 232 inches and 120 H.P.

keep in mind that 3.54 is the Standard ratio for Automatics in 1951 to 1955 V-8's, your final drive ratio in O.D. will really be down there in the low numbers. [:0]

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I know I would be happier with the 3.73, with only 232 inches and 120 H.P.

120 GROSS HP is about 85 net (today's measurement). Pulling a 3000+ pound car with 85 HP with 3.54 gears AND OD is pretty much asking for trouble. You'll either be lugging the engine a lot of the time or not taking advantage of the OD.

My Sierra short wheel base, regular cab has a 262 cubic inch engine and OD trans. 3.10 axle. Engine and transmission computers to maximize fuel mileage. Fuel injection. It's rated at 21 highway 16 city. I rarely see either in normal driving. You will not get close to that with 50 year old technology.

Don't drive a Stude for fuel mileage. You'll be disappointed (if you have an accurate odometer )

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

ok A 232/3.54 W/OD- not good! How about a 259/3.54 W/OD?

Comment

I have a 51 Commander with a 232 three speed with O/D. Speedo is not right I have cheeked on distances I know got 22 mpg on country and interstate miles together running 75 to 80 on the interstate.I don't know the gears.

Comment

I believe that with good gearing, a Studebaker can be very good on fuel economy, even compared to a similar sized car today (compare a 6 passenger car to a 6 passenger car). The main reason they are comparible in fuel mileage is that Studebakers dont have pollution control devices robbing horsepower & fuel. No catalytic converters and no exhaust gas recirculation. The downside is that Studebakers put out more pollutants when running, however the manufacturing of new cars makes pollution also. Actually, manufacturing new cars makes a LOT of pollution!

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X