Then and now - Brooklyn and '61 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then and now - Brooklyn and '61 Lark

My wife and I were part of an ethnic tour in Brooklyn this past month. One of our stops was the farmer's market in Grand Army Plaza. Just had to get a picture of the Grand Army arch commemorating those soldiers in blue from our Civil War.

Here is how the arch looks today:

Looking for some photos for a class this last week and came across this pic online from the New York Public Library. Nice little car...and I wonder where it might be now...

<div align="left">1960 Lark 60S-W4</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
    [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Looks like it might be in your signature picture maybe?

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

Looks like it might be in your signature picture maybe?
      My township would probably not allow me to build such a structure on my property - besides - would be a pain to keep all those bronze statues looking presentable...

<div align="left">1960 Lark 60S-W4</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
      [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
      [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

I see you have a 1960 Lark and not a '61 as in the picture. Sorry. Still neat pictures.
        Thanks for sharing.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

62 Champ, do you live in Brooklyn. I'm out on Long Island and belong to the Long Island Chapter (Who'd have thought?). Are you affiliated with the Verazzano Chapter?
          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I wonder what happened to the building inside the arch?

Doug

Venice, Florida
            1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

62 Champ observes: " besides - would be a pain to keep all those bronze statues looking presentable..."

Heh - where I live, the challenge would be keeping said bronze ON the arch and out of the local metal recyclers![}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm waiting for Evan (fargoguy) to post a pic of HIS Brooklyn sitting in HIS '61 Lark!!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by raprice

62 Champ, do you live in Brooklyn. I'm out on Long Island and belong to the Long Island Chapter (Who'd have thought?). Are you affiliated with the Verazzano Chapter?
                  Rog

Smithtown,NY
                  My wife and I are currently residents of the Lehigh Valley - just a New Jersey's width away from the City - and a member of the Keystone chapter.

My wife's employer runs some bus trips into the city from time to time that are just too hard to pass up.

Now that I have someone from a chapter from the NYC area - didn't there used to be a small meet on a pier somewhere in the city?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62champ

My wife and I are currently residents of the Lehigh Valley - just a New Jersey's width away from the City - and a member of the Keystone chapter.

My wife's employer runs some bus trips into the city from time to time that are just too hard to pass up.

Now that I have someone from a chapter from the NYC area - didn't there used to be a small meet on a pier somewhere in the city?

You are probably thinking of the South Street Seaport Meet held every year by the Manhattan Chapter. I believe that the meet was discontinued some years ago. (Not from the NYC area.)

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, you are absolutely right (give that man a cookie). Yes, the Manhattan chapter did indeed sponsor the meet at South Street Seaport for a number of years. Unfortunately, the Seaport raised the fee so high that it was decided that it was way too high to run the show.
                      That was the reason we were told out here on Long Island. Too bad, because it's a terrific venue to have a car show.
                      Rog

Smithtown,NY
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I really like "Before and After" shots, thanks for posting this. It looks like you could drive thru the arch 'back in the day'

Jim B
                        Snohomish,Wa

Comment

Working...
                        X