commander delux vs commander regal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commander delux vs commander regal

How does one tell the difference between a 1950 "commander regal deluxe/state " and a "commander deluxe regal...this is a 4 door car..I presume that the difference is the "trim " options but how can I tell which I have with my car ?....Thanks in advance...John

the tag on the firewall should tell the tale

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

firewall tag and/or factory build papers for your car. Can get a copy of that from the Studebaker National Museum Archives

Chris Dresbach
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

First line of firewall tag (Body Tag) should bear thus:

17A-W3 = Commander Deluxe (intermediate trim level)

17A-W5 = Commander Regal Deluxe (Highest trim level)

17A-W1 = Commander Custom (lowest trim level)

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The firewall tag reads 17A-W5 2749.....thanks,John

Comment

The 2749 only means it was the 2,749th 17A-W5 body they put together. Not "CAR", but just the body tub assy.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs:
              You did such a nice job on the explanation for the body tag on the 1950, could you give me the same details on the 1951 series.
              Thanks, tom

Comment

1951: 10G=Champion, H=Commander,
                Coupe (5-passenger) "C" 10G-C1 Champion Custom, 10G-C3 Champion Deluxe, 10G-C5 Champion Regal

Sedan (2-door) "F" 10G-F1 Champion Custom, 10G-F3 Champion Deluxe, 10G-F5 Champion Regal

Coupe (3-passenger) "Q" 10G-Q1 Champion Custom, 10G-Q2 Champion Deluxe, 10G-Q4 Champion Regal

Convertible (Folding top) "S" 10G-S2 Champion Regal

Sedan (4-door) "W" 10G-W1 Champion Custom, 10G-W3 Champion Deluxe, 10G-W5 Champion Regal

Coupe (5-passenger) "C" H-C3 Commander Regal, H-C5 Commander State

Sedan (2-door) "F" H-F3 Commander Regal, H-F5 Commander State

Convertible (Folding top) "S" H-S2 Commander State

Sedan (4-door) "W" H-W3 Commander Regal, H-W5 Commander State

Land Cruiser (4-door) "Y" H-Y5 Commander State
                Last edited by fatboylust; 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Looks like Dave delivered a Regal explanation before I could! Cool deal!

Comment

OK, now I am getting somewhere. It is obvious someone has some better references than I do. Does anyone have a list of items that would be characteristic for a 1951 Commander Regal (H-W3) or items that would be additional to make the car a Commander State (H-W5)? Thanks, tom

Comment

Itctmwod, you will need a copy of the Body Manual a some time. As one scans/scrolls through the lists of parts, particularly say the interior section there are notations following the part names which specify to which body/trim level they are applicable. For example: "2118-1 272110T ARM REST, FRONT DOOR (FOR LEATHER TRIM) W3-W5 - U.S.A. . . . .". The text is red is the kind of notation to which I am referring.

Comment

Working...
                      X