more 56olden hawk help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more 56olden hawk help

After a long wait, my starter was returned from the rebuilder with the usual battery connection but only a connection for the ign wire (S). No connection for the resistor (R) wire. He said that was the only solenoid available and was not sure what to do with the resistor wire but try connecting it to the strap between the solenoid and the starter. Will this work? help (again).

you mean the ballast bypass wire? yes, you can just connect it directly to the strap. If there were that terminal, it'd be directly connected to that same connection (internally to the solenoid) anyway.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Connecting that wire to strap between starter and solenoid is connecting your ignition to a ground which may have unintended results. A better
      option would be a separate relay operated by the solenoid circuit. The correct solenoid is or was available from NAPA.

Comment

thanks,will check with napa

Comment

You might try ST103 at NAPA. Not sure if this is it but it's listed for a 56 Stude as well as 55-56 Packard, Among others.

Comment

Guys, it's a 56 Golden, that's the Packard engine with the solenoid mounted on the starter like a Chevy.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

ST 103 is starter mounted. I had worked out a number that would work just not sure if 103 is it. Beeen some time since I did it.

Comment

i bought an st103 yesterday as the NAPA dealer said that was the one called for. It was returend 30 minutes later as the mounting flange was wrong.

Comment

if you do find an exact replacement solenoid please post, I do not have a good number for one.

thanks

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Another possibility is ST100. This is also listed for a Packard. Very similar in appearance to ST103 with slightly different bracket.
                    You may be able to modifly mounting a litte to make one work.

Comment

Working...
                    X