Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Cars-Secret Serial Number

You've got to love these western cars .

I was tearing down the '63 Hawk today to get ready for paint prep, and while removing the rear bumper and related sheet metal I thought I'd look for the "secret serial number". Found it immediately. It's not stamped very deep, but is certainly there...

(it's 63VC 2416)

Not as sharp as my LA assembled '54

I wonder how many of these secret serial numbers actually survived?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I find them on about half of the non rust belt cars where I've looked, nearly zero on the rust belt cars.

JDP
    Arnold Md.
    Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
    64 Commander 2 dr.
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I find them on about half of the non rust belt cars where I've looked, nearly zero on the rust belt cars.

JDP
      Arnold Md.
      Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
      64 Commander 2 dr.
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

What's the secret hiding place ??...'47 Champ, '52 Commander, '60 Lark. Why was there a secret number ??......Brad

Comment

What's the secret hiding place ??...'47 Champ, '52 Commander, '60 Lark. Why was there a secret number ??......Brad

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

Rear cross member on the flange closest to the fuel tank-about center.

I think it was so the law enforcement types could ID a stolen car if the SN plate was removed.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

Rear cross member on the flange closest to the fuel tank-about center.

I think it was so the law enforcement types could ID a stolen car if the SN plate was removed.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

The actual function of the number, as I have heard it, is that it was a reference number for the workers on the line, to give the car the right equipment/options.

Tim K.
                '64 R2 GT Hawk
                Tim K.
                \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

The actual function of the number, as I have heard it, is that it was a reference number for the workers on the line, to give the car the right equipment/options.

Tim K.
                  '64 R2 GT Hawk
                  Tim K.
                  \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I think even on a rusty car, the secret serial number potentially findable. I seem to remember reading that crime labs could acid-etch the serial number location on firearms, where it had been filed off, and the etching would reveal the altered crystal structure of the metal. In other words, the stamping alters the metal beyond the actual depth of the indentation.

So maybe one could carefully and slowly grind smooth the frame on a rusted Stude, etch it with acid, and "develop" the latent serial number.

Would make a neat experiment for somebody, and could potentially be useful for someone with a numberless car.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I think even on a rusty car, the secret serial number potentially findable. I seem to remember reading that crime labs could acid-etch the serial number location on firearms, where it had been filed off, and the etching would reveal the altered crystal structure of the metal. In other words, the stamping alters the metal beyond the actual depth of the indentation.

So maybe one could carefully and slowly grind smooth the frame on a rusted Stude, etch it with acid, and "develop" the latent serial number.

Would make a neat experiment for somebody, and could potentially be useful for someone with a numberless car.

Comment

Since none of us were line workers, it is anybody's guess. Mine is that I know that the LINE NUMBER and model were written on the outboard side of the frame rail about where the drivers flooboard would go. That was WAY easier and quicker to read and match to the daily "build list" or the build slip attached to the body frame assembly after body drop.

Anyway all cars must have been mandated by all the State DMV's to have more than one identification, look at the late models, it's on every major part, plus the engine, dash, door post and frame!

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

Tim K.
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Since none of us were line workers, it is anybody's guess. Mine is that I know that the LINE NUMBER and model were written on the outboard side of the frame rail about where the drivers flooboard would go. That was WAY easier and quicker to read and match to the daily "build list" or the build slip attached to the body frame assembly after body drop.

Anyway all cars must have been mandated by all the State DMV's to have more than one identification, look at the late models, it's on every major part, plus the engine, dash, door post and frame!

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

Tim K.
                          StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have found the easiest way to see numbers or letters is to apply chalk to the area and then gently remove the chalk stroke after stroke with a really damp rag so that the chalk remains in the numbers and letters. I identified several old tools that were in the '47 Studebaker that way. One tool was "Craftsman" "3/4" wrench. If you want to make the letters semi permanent spray it with clear from a rattle can. "Remember to shake the rattle can until it stops making the sound." I also did the engine number on the '47.......Brad

Comment

I have found the easiest way to see numbers or letters is to apply chalk to the area and then gently remove the chalk stroke after stroke with a really damp rag so that the chalk remains in the numbers and letters. I identified several old tools that were in the '47 Studebaker that way. One tool was "Craftsman" "3/4" wrench. If you want to make the letters semi permanent spray it with clear from a rattle can. "Remember to shake the rattle can until it stops making the sound." I also did the engine number on the '47.......Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X