Final Assembly Buildings Pictures 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Assembly Buildings Pictures 2005

Here's some pictures I took back in 2005 of the final assembly buildings during the spring swap.
    Some friends and I were fortunate to get an unofficial tour. Little did we know if would be the last time. [V]
    We didn't get to see the stamping plant.
    John

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Sweet! Gese you are lucky! I always wanted to see those buildings, but then the mayor thought "Ignition Park" aka "No Spark Park" was the answer.[V] That deserves more:[V][V][V][V][V][V][V]
    If you have never seen the foundry, I strongly advise you to do so. I got to take a tour a couple months ago and just loved it. All the furnaces are still intact and rusting.[V] Im going back with a friend sometime soon. If you are in the area and meet us a t the foundry, you are welcome to join us. Now I need to ask: "Did ya steel a brick?!" lol

Chris Dresbach
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

I didn't grab a brick, I wanted to grab one of the wooden floor blocks but I thought that someone might still use the place. I did get a brick on ebay after the place was torn down though.
      Yeah, I'd love to see the foundry, Too bad I missed out on the machine shop.
      thanks!
      John

Comment

I like the pictures. Very impressive buildings, especially on the inside.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        MN iron ore...it does your body good.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach
          If you are in the area and meet us a t the foundry, you are welcome to join us. Now I need to ask: "Did ya steel a brick?!" lol
          Next time you go there, take an empty jar of some sort and fill it with some of that casting sand that is still in the back area there.

Craig

Comment

John,
            Those pics are awesome! Please share more if you have them. And Chris, we expect that you'll take your camera when you revisit the foundry, so that you can share with those of us that are too far away to check it out! LH

"I'm allergic to small block Chevys."
            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

When I went the first time I got some pics, but next time will be even better. We plan on visiting the tunnels, upstairs, and the most important: blasting furnaces. I used a digital camera, Ill see if I can post them. Those casting rooms are just huge. Just unbelieveable! And most of it lust sits empty.[V] My boss/race sponser/best friend and I know the owner/owner of Underground Pipe and Valve and thats how we got an "in." I will post when we go, but if you will be in the South Bend area, you are more than welcome to join us. I can get you some sand and/or bricks too if you cant make it. Just tell me where to send it! Ya know what?... If I get enough response of people that defionately WILL be there and not just "maybes", I will get ahold of the proving grounds, #84, #92, national museum, and Administration and see how many we could get in to. That is a big "IF", but if I can, weel see how many places we could visit. The foundry is for shure. My boss, dan, and I are going regardless, but heres a last chance plant tour if anybody wants to go. I really dont know, yet. Foundry is set in stone like I said. Only other thing to get you an "in" is I hope to see you in your Studebaker! I would mine, but I dont own one! (And the Lawn-Lark isnt street legal...)
              Ok, something to think about...

Chris Dresbach
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris, any idea as to when that building is to be demolished? Could you ask the owner of that pipe company if he knows? If it will be there come the end of May, I will drive my Hawk there. Otherwise, I wont drive it during the winter.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                sigpic

Comment

Justimangine the hustle and noise that went on thair and all the familys that depended on that place, What a big deal that place was .

fred

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Chris, any idea as to when that building is to be demolished? Could you ask the owner of that pipe company if he knows? If it will be there come the end of May, I will drive my Hawk there. Otherwise, I wont drive it during the winter.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                    They want to tear it down next summer. "UPV" got a new lot on the oliver side of things and just broke ground on the new building the other day. It will be here a while, so will the rest of them. I just dont know how long Don (the owner) will be in there. Quite some time I would guess, as the new building still has to be built, they have to move, and the city isnt exactly fast either. They were close to 6 months late to demolish the machine shop. I can autuall go there any time and say to don: "Got some people here who want to see the foundry" and he will send a worker with us to tour. So 'cmon down! Youre the next contestant on tour that ababdoned building!!![] LOL. [?][?][?]

Chris Dresbach
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Well, I hope to come the end of May for the swap meet and see that building. If you dont have a camera by then, I'll give you a Kodak digital that I got when I signed up for high-speed internet. It only has a few minutes of use (I have another camera that I use instead).

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                      sigpic

Comment

I've heard that there are (were) tunnels under some of those buildings. What were those used for?
                        Wish I could get out that way, but it won't be happening for awhile. I will certainly compensate you for an extra brick, though. LH

"I'm allergic to small block Chevys."
                        Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fred k.

Justimangine the hustle and noise that went on thair and all the familys that depended on that place, What a big deal that place was .

fred
                          That same thought crossed my mind when I was there the first time. I stood under one of the four blasting furnaces and thought about how hot and dangerous it would be to stand where I was standing. I went to a small supervisor office in the middle of the floor and thought about what that supervisor could have seen from that spot. I saw the train loading dock and big wooden doors and imagined all the raw metal that passed through those doors. I saw the sand pits still full of sand and thought about the workers who broke their backs digging in it, and all the metal cast in it. I looked across the massave casting rooms and imagined all the workers whos only trade was foundry work. And how they worked hard and won a war, built cars, supported their family. I looked up and noticed that all of Studebakers origional PA system and lights were still mounted to the cielings and imagined the heart break those PA speakers brought to those workers in the casting rooms on December 9th, 1963 at 3:30pm when administration announced over the whole plant that they would be closeing all production, and that all those workers no longer had jobs. Imagine the heart break! I could imagine all of the workers making their way out, some upstairs to the locker rooms to change from a busy days work, and leaving their job for the last time. And from that dredful day, today, the once busy Studebaker foundry, the one capable of pouring 400 tons of steel a day, sits cold, empty, silent. To this day, those workers who made their way out of the plant floor and to the locker rooms still leave a vague mark. One forgot his glasses, another left his boots. Still others leave a different kind of mark, the deafining silence. The once white hot and loud Studebaker blasting furnaces, cold and silent.
                          ~The Studebaker Foundry

Chris Dresbach
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Dang, I should become a writer![] LOL

Chris Dresbach
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Well said Chris!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                              Dylan Wills