Technical Question about paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Question about paint

Is the striker on the door post suppose to be painted or left unpainted? I guess that is what it is called. Its the small piece that the door latch goes on when the door is closed.

Thanks

Domenic Manera
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745

Henry Votel,
    Forest Lake, MN
    Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

I risked a visit to the dark corner of the "Man Cave" to check the un-restored 55 president I have and the strikers are painted.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Painted. Part of the body/door assembly when it is painted. Clean with paint thinner/solvent prior to installing. Oil after paint has cured.

Richard

Comment

They were painted with the rest of the car body. Doors were painted after they were mounted on the body shell. So, if you take a never-restored car apart, its basically bare steel behind both the strikers and the hinges. There may be a thin primer coat remaining if the car is from a dry climate. Rust belt cars will have a nice surface rust layer.

When I painted my car, I painted the striker separately from the body, then installed it over the now-painted door post. The screw heads are supposed to be painted too (seeing as how the striker was originally painted after installing) so I used a modeling brush to touch them up once the door was adjusted and the screws tightened for the final tweak.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks for all the info, I will paint mine to match everything else. I sorta thought that was they way they were supposed to be, but since I had everything re zinced I wanted to make sure. Again thanks alot for the info.

Domenic Manera
            Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
            City of York Fire Department
            York, SC 29745

Comment

Working...
            X