• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 to 6-I know-AGAIN

One simple question. Have any of yall used a voltage
    reducer to work your 6 volt guages only. If so, give
    me the results and what brand works. I have spent all
    day trying to find components at Radio Shacks. I would
    like to buy somthing that works. Any help appreciated.

Tex E. Grier

I used this...

Wiring Harnesses, Electric Fan Controls, Accessories, Grounding, Lighting, Switches, Fuel Injection Harnesses, Wiring Aids and More!

...for the water temp and fuel gauges in my '54 Starliner. Worked great!

I would guess someone like Jeff H. might have a less expensive solution that does the same thing.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I use whats called a "Runz" on my fuel gauge. Marketed by Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com less than $20.00 works great.They have an ad in TW each month.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Yup, I did make my own. I basically built my own "runtz" from scratch. Its a similar size and mounts to the back of the cluster. Cost me a lot less than $20 because I had all the parts already and my spare time is "free". That said, $20 is not a unreasonable amount for what you get and buying the parts to make one in the low qtys needed would probably be around $5 and much of a sunday afternoon to built it; so not much to be saved.

Those 2 gauges don't pull much current, so the big unit with the heatsink is overkill if its just the gauges. You probably only need 1 of the runtz units for 2 gauges. My notes on the gauges would indicate the pair together draw about 350mA (0.35 Amps) off 6v. Use that to size the reducer.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
        X