52 Commander front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Commander front end

Was wondering if anyone here can tell me if I need a spring supressor to disassemble the front end on my car.
    I have the bare frame jacked up in the front and need to take all of it apart to clean and sandblast before I start to re inforce the entire frame.
    I really don't want to eat a spring here.
    Thanks ,
    Dean.[B)]

I have ran a small pice of chain around my floor jack and the car frame to keep the car from lifting and used a good spring compressor and had good luck on assembly and disassembly. or if you are replacing the springs you can cut the old ones with a torch before you disamble the suspension.

fred

Comment

Or a big piece of all thread with washers a piece of flat bar and nuts on either end tighten them up take apart.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Thanks everyone,
        I got the first side off last night, I think there was less tension on the spring than normal mainly due to the last caso that owned this car shortening the springs by just torch cutting the bottom off.
        Man the bolts that attach the top A arm to the frame are a P.I.T.A. to get a wrench on and back up.
        One side down One side to go. Can I replace the bushings in all these parts myself or is that something I need a pro. for?
        Don't know if they are press fit or just slip in.
        Thanks, again,
        Dean.

Comment

All the front end pieces are off and I am in the process of de greasing them but still wonder if I can replace all the bushings my self?
          Haven't cleaned up the a arms and rotors yet, that will be tomorrow.
          C'mon Anne ever done it??? Fred-What do you think?
          Dean Pearson.

Comment

Whatever you do . don't take the upper outer steel bushings out.
            They are very expensive and if that pivot is not loose and does take grease,leave it alone!
            Leave the kingpin on the "A" frame
            Cover it with ducttape when you sandblast the "A" frame.
            If the king pins need replacing . that is an other story.

Comment

Thanks for that,
              I was planning to do that tomorrow. No idea if they are loose or not due to all the 58 year old grease packed around it.
              What may I ask are we considering expensive?
              Currently I have both the right and left sets of A arms off and the main pivot for the steering, felt quite lucky that all the needle bearings didn't fall out of that.
              All in all the stuff looks to be in good shape apart from the butchered springs.
              Once again thank you for the heads up.
              Dean.

Comment

Working...
              X