My 47 Fuel Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 47 Fuel Truck

Hey Guys i may have told some of you at the TF Dinner, but I bought this truck off ebay while in CeRap. Well I just got the pics I've been waiting for. I bought it primarily becuase it has a Newer (claimed) to be a late 50's replacement block with no numbers, and its just a kool truck. This is important becuase it will be the doner engine for my 4X4 which needed a 58' 245. The truck is supposed to run great and drive well, however it has not been started in a couple of years. The owner just past a month ago from cancer at age 64, so he just quit driving a couple of years ago.

Is there any way for some of you to date the engine without numbers? The goal is to put a 4E engine number on the block without someone coming along and debunking it.

I am really happy with these pics, the ones on ebay were sub-par but the thing looks really solid and straight. I have a good rebuilt 6R245 that may go in this truck so it won't be neglected.

Also can anybody date the fuel tank body, I assume it is original but one can't be to sure 60+ years anything could have happened.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock

59' 4E2 122 Scotsman Deluxe V8 4spd curb side fender

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Man-o-man....
    64 is way too young[V]....
    Finding a different gear set for that Timken may be tough....
    But....
    A tanker load of leaded Ethyl with Sta-Bil in it would sell like hotcakes at a Stude meet
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hi John, got any pics showing your entire 'fuelie'? Is there a company name on the doors or tank? Just curious. By the way, whats the helmet for? Is this because the truck doesn't have seat belts or because it doesn't have working brakes? [8D]

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

This is what I did so that I never had issues with someone claiming fraud. While I personally don't think Studebaker people make to much about numbers matching cars, Mopar people do.

I had a '71 Plymouth Sport Fury GT. It came with a 440-HP engine with 370HP. When I hauled the car out of a ditch in SE Michigan, it had a blown 383. The car was built 05/31/71. I was able to locate a block cast in 02/71. The engine was date coded for March. It had a serial number (VIN) stamped from a Charger R/T. When I had the block machined, I had the VIN shaved smooth and it was left that way. If Chrysler had a problem with an engine on the assembly line, they swapped it for a warranty engine and didn't take the time to stamp the VIN on the block. As a warranty engine, I never claimed it was the original. No one said boo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Oh, I know some Stude truck guys who are going to be so jealous!

Chris Pile
          Editor: The Studebaker Special
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Well I don't intend to pass that engine off as original, or i wouldn't be talking about it here. But I do like your idea as well, haveing a new replacement numberless engine is cool too. I have heard it on this and other forums that they left the vins blank so the dealer could stamp the numbers in it. I guess the reasoning for that was some states title the vehicle with the engine #, and Studebaker figured it would be easier if the dealer stamps the old number on.

Also you can kinda see a metal tag under a head bolt just to the left of the 2nd plug up. Anybody know what that might be?

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

58' 3E6D Stock

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

John, maybe you can use the info on that dial on the rear of the tank for clues. With the dial set the way it is in the picture, it hides something on the top, but on the bottom it says Fargo, ND. Is there some kind of manufacturer tag anywhere on the tank?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I think it says 'Fargo Foundry'.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                sigpic

Comment

There ya go! Name and location. Time for a phone call.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Yeh I was already going to try to lacate info on Fargo Foundry. I don't have the truck home yet, these pics were recently emailed to me.

I do not have a full view shot of the truck. I seen the front shots of the cab on the ebay add, and it was pretty solid.

I have no idea about the helmet[B)]

John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

58' 3E6D Stock

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Here's a link to a 1932 Ford with a Fargo Foundry fuel tank.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X