Newby with 63 Avanti R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby with 63 Avanti R2

Serial number 2502. I am in VA and just picked it up a couple of days ago in RI. Working to get it operational. You can follow along my journey at

Has not been out of the garage for at least ten years, and not running for the last three or more. All kinds of issue trying to work through. Having a great time. Looking forward to working on a modern car as my others are a 1923 McLaughlin Buick and a 1928 Buick.

John
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

Welcome, John. I'm not an Avanti guy, but there are many here. Your car looks promising, brakes are easy, just replace everything. That way you know the lines are good. Others will also lend encouragement.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

I like it!
      Always wanted one of these! Hope you get to drive her before too long!

I'll be watching for updates...[8D]

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
      Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
      '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
      '66 Ford F-250
      '53 John Deere 50
      '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
      '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by unimogjohn

Serial number 2502. I am in VA and just picked it up a couple of days ago in RI. Working to get it operational. You can follow along my journey at

Has not been out of the garage for at least ten years, and not running for the last three or more. All kinds of issue trying to work through. Having a great time. Looking forward to working on a modern car as my others are a 1923 McLaughlin Buick and a 1928 Buick.
        John
        There are an amazing number of resources available to you in the Studebaker Drivers Club and The Avanti Owners Association. A good place to start is joining the SDC (from right here on this Forum). Many vendors always appear in the excellent club magazine, Turning Wheels. A good place to start right now is to contact Myer's Studebaker in Duncan Falls, OH. Jon and Mike Myers have a LOT of Avanti experience and expertise. See http://www.myersstudebaker.com/. And, Bob Johnstone, great technical and exchange information is fairly close to you (Great Falls, VA). See http://www.studebaker-info.org/
        Bob and I are both members of a strong SDC chapter based in DC/Maryland/Virginia/West Virginia. See http://www.potomacsdc.org/ You might want to join us too. Last, but least, see the AOAI site http://www.aoai.org/.
        Keep us posted- LOTS of expertise here too.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My Avanti 63R 2931 also was sitting unused for 10 years and wasn't as nicely stored as yours. She responed well to TLC and I was able to drive her into the garage the day after I got her off the trailer. It was a month before I got all the basic systems roadworthy and I still had issues to correct but I had fun. My experience was that if the part is made of rubber or has a seal it will need replaced sooner or later, so check them closely and if in doubt throw it out. The cooling system will require you to remove tha soft plugs to dig and flush out the water jacket. Nasty job with the engine in but the car won't be happy without it. Good luck and the work is worth it.

Ken

Comment

I remember the car was green in 77. and belonged to a guy name of Donald White in Pawtucket RI.

Comment

John, your wife has great taste in automobiles! Enjoy the journey.

Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and that's a cool car!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Wish you the very best of luck on your odyssey. I started an Avanti restoration endeavour in May of this year myself. Here's a few things to note: the Avanti serial numbers started at 1001, so your car was actually around the 1500th built. I own number R-2333. Also, check the motor serial number on the front of the engine block. An R2 engine should start with the letters RS. The rear frame part that looks like simple exhaust pipe is often an indicator of rust to be found elsewhere in the frame and/or hog troughs. I'm sure you will end up with a nice rare car that you'll be proud of. Congrats to your wife!

[img][/img]

edp/NC
                  '63 Avanti
                  '66 Commander
                  edp/NC
                  \'63 Avanti
                  \'66 Commander

Comment

Welcome...and good luck with your new car.
                    I'm in the middle of a restoration of my 63...which I'm leaving to an expert, so I've been busy buying parts, writing checks...

In addition to the SDC, I'd urge you to join the Avanti club...they have a great quarterly magazine with tech help and a Avanti specific forum.

Details at: www.aoai.org/

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

All, thanks for the warm welcome and replies. I will keep you informed from time to time on my efforts to bring the car back from the brink.

Alan, cannot believe that you knew the car in 77. Must have been an early re-paint. Found evidence of a front end crash (glancing blow to the passenger fender) so maybe that was the start of the redo. I bought the car from Paul O. in Cranston, RI. He said that he bought it from his brother.

Thanks again. John

1963 Avanti R2
                      John
                      1963 Avanti R2
                      Marshall, VA

Comment

John
                        Welcome,
                        Looking through your pictures I note your bonnet hinge issue. I'm not to sure that the fibreglass was cut out on the bonnet hinge.
                        Mine has suffered the same problem and I assumed it was a weakness or maybe as a result of the front end damage.
                        I wonder how common it is?
                        Hinge pockets are available new if you want to replace the whole section.
                        Have fun.

Peter

Comment

It appears that the broken hinge mount is left side. I can't remember whether the 63 had the hood opening support on that side or on the passenger side like the later models.In any event, that piece is a weak spot and on my 83 began to tear. The hood, supported only on one side, exerts a twisting force on the opposite-side hinge.

On mine, the passenger side hinge pad on the hood just broke loose from the hood before the driver's side hinge support crack became a full break like yours did. Mine's a driver, not intended to be a show car, so I plan to rig a hood support that will hole the hood up at the middle rear of the hood. That'll eliminate a lot of the stress built into the factory hood support arrangement. We're dealing with quite old chopper-gun fiberglas here. It's no longer very strong and (at least underhood) seems to be fairly brittle.

MikeV
                          Pompano Beach, FL
                          83 Avanti 377I

Comment

The battery for your car is a 3EE. They are available from a few suppliers. I am using one from interstate. However, the best one to use will be the one with the highest cranking amps. And they are not all the same.

Some folks change to an Optima battery or relocate a battery in the trunk to get more power.

Another thing that you should have, if you don't have it already, is an Avanti Workshop Manual. Having that manual makes the rebuilding of the carb really straightforward, as it calls out which screws need to be sealed. There are carb rebuilders that state they can rebuild anything, but have no idea what these carbs require.

Warning to never run the engine above idle with the supercharger in operation and the blower disconnected from the carb.

Have fun ...

========================
                            63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                            Martinez, CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

The battery for your car is a 3EE. They are available from a few suppliers. I am using one from interstate.
                              I called our local Interstate distributor and asked if someone made a sealed Optima battery in that size, they said no.
                              Anyone know different?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X