No announcement yet.

A few cool late-season sightings (PIX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few cool late-season sightings (PIX)

Hi all--

Still driving the wheels off Betty the Lark, just like I always wanted to! Here are some nifty sightings from the past week or so...

On Thurs Sep 24, two SDCers organized a small cruise-in at a seniors' residence in Burlington--bringing some nostalgia to some folks who might well like to attend cruise nights, but can't. Very cool idea, and I hope we do more of the same! Remember that '59 Lark wagon hulk I ran across last spring near Paris? Well, this '64 GT Hawk was in that same collection and for sale. It now belongs to a gent in Burlington, and the seniors' centre event was its local cruise debut. You can never have too many GTs around...

Sat Sep 26, Fall Waterdown show & swap. Eventually the meet got rained on, but the first half of the day was OK. Among the Studes on site was this lovely '53 Starlight rod I hadn't previously seen. White over midnight blue, Chev mill, what look like Plymouth Roadrunner wheels...what a sweet piece.

Same event, my Lark and a wild late-40s Nash sedan rat rod from Quebec...

Next day Sunday Sep 27 was a wild one: went to church; thence to Paris for a small downtown cruise; to the Hamilton SDC fall BBQ; back to Hamilton for a bell choir practice; back out again for the tail end of the BBQ. Every inch of the way behind the wheel of the Lark. Good ol' Betty...she's a trouper! Here's the Lark with a '59 Olds droptop in Paris.

At the BBQ there was a Stude or two (besides the eight driven in for the event)...'60 Lark droptop project from Iowa...

One of two Champ projects...

'50 Starlight project...

Rare Erskine sedan...

...which was one of two on site!

You just never know what's out there.

Cheers all

S.

I notice a Kaiser in the garage also. According to the Brooks Stevens History website, he designed that car as well as the '62 Lark and '64 Hawk. Is this a coincidence??

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

'Almost' the perfect pic.....
      Love it[]

quote:Originally posted by Steve T
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Milaca--

Wasn't aware of a Stevens connection to the '51 and later "Anatomic" Kaisers...far as I knew Howard (Dutch) Darrin oversaw those (but, since this was earlier, maybe Stevens was working with Darrin, not yet having branched out on his own?) For my money, the '51 Kaiser stands alongside the '53 Stude coupes as representing the finest American car design of that decade.

Incidentally there are two Kaisers in that garage, both '54s. Other way-cool old wheels too...

Jeff--

Almost perfect? Is this better...or would you rather Eric hadn't parked the Cruiser in frame?

S.

Comment

Milaca--

Wasn't aware of a Stevens connection to the '51 and later "Anatomic" Kaisers...far as I knew Howard (Dutch) Darrin oversaw those (but, since this was earlier, maybe Stevens was working with Darrin, not yet having branched out on his own?)

Incidentally there are two Kaisers in that garage, both '54s. Other way-cool old wheels too...

Jeff--

Almost perfect? Is this better...or would you rather Eric hadn't parked the Cruiser in frame?

S.
          Hi Steve, I wasn't aware of a connection until I recently visited
          http://www.brooksstevenshistory.com/home.html where they show a 1952 Kaiser Manhattan. You may be correct about Dutch Darrin, maybe Brooks only helped with the design. The website doesn't specify.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
          sigpic

Comment

Hey! Don't try to skewer me!!!
            I was talking about color, and lighting, and composure, and all that picture stuff...
            (The stinking Lark was just in the way[:0])
            Jeff[8D]

<snip>
            Jeff--
            <snip>
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff--

LOL!![]

I'll see if I can find a shot of a GT all by its lonesome...stay tuned...

S.

Comment

Here we go...from a Hamilton Chapter meeting in May...

...And at the SB fairgrounds during the '09 Crossroads ZM.

S.

Comment

Wow Steve, that last GT looks to be in `MINT' condition! Sorry, I guess I should go to bed now.....

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                  sigpic

Comment

So THAT'S where that ended up! I bid on it TWICE on eBay- outbid both times. I REALLY liked the paint job- so much that I saved the pictures in case I get one someday; I'd do it just like that one[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I like that 1953 Starlight. Other than the wheels/tires it appears stock on the exterior. The plate shows as a reflection, but the windshield stickers appear to be from New York State.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Wow Steve, that last GT looks to be in `MINT' condition!
                        If I remember reading right, its the only R-series '63 GT Hawk painted that Seaspray Green; a South Bend production 'spring color'.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X